Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Guide Rod and Mag Extensions Which One?

Blue Jacket

Looking to get a Tungsten guide rod for Glock 35 limited gun. I see a lot of posts on guide rods, but not any that discuss which is the best value. I know Zev, lone wolf and top Glock all make them any thoughts.

Also, I need one more mag extension. I like the Dawson, but can only get in 19, I have an Arrenando and it's ok, but I like the metal versions better.

Has any anyone tried Taylor. What do you think of it? I was thinking of giving one a try

Thanks

I run Taylor in +9 and +5 and love them. They're made of Delryn and dont provide much of an offset in weight, so if youre wanting a metal type then keep that in mind. Taylor does provde brass ones, but I think theyre only available in +5.

On the guide rod I say go with Zev or ISMI and use ISMI springs. If you have a Gen 4 be sure to go with the Gen 3 guide rod and get a Gen 4 adapter. Stay away from the tungsten or SS captured guide rods as I had one come apart on me after only 250rds. I use a Zev SS guide rod with ISMI springs and the Gen 4 adapter with over 2k rounds and no issues.

the number of rounds in the mag is more an issue of trimming the follower, and the follower used. remove enough from the bottom and you can fit 20. The issue is keeping enough of the followers base to keep it stable inside the tube for reliable feeding.

I got a tungsten guide rod (captured 13 lb) from Glockmeister last Friday, tried it this past weekend and sold it yesterday. It did not make any difference as far as recoil absorbing on my Gen4 G17. Only thing it did was made my pistol heavier. The Gen4 stock double spring guide rod works well enough not to replace it. I'm shooting 130+ PF. YMMV.

I have a gen 3 G35 that I added a non captured tungsten guide rod from zev (glockworx). I am using the ISMI #15 spring. I like it. A little extra weight. But I will say that I am starting to see a wear mark around the guide rod about 1/3 of the way back from the muzzle. It is not bad but it is there. I think I read somewhere that others have seen this. I do not know if I would be better off with the red zev spring instead? I will probably just keep the ISMI. As for extensions, I am using Dawson. They work well, and seem to be made well. I am getting +4, but I can force +5, it is just not re-loadable for me.

I have tungsten guide rods (non captured) in both my Production 35 and Limited 35. Both are from Speed Shooter Specialties. I like them a lot. Matched with the right spring (I use the flat ISMI) the extra weight on the nose of the gun keeps the gun level.

The Limited one has seen the most use and does show some wear at that spot.

Edited by Tim/GA

Thanks can you get 20 in them and is it usable?

If you're asking about the brass extensions, I don't know. Never used them. I could reliably get 20 in my +5's, and 23 in my +8's. Anything more and I'd jam up after the 1st round.

I have a gen 3 G35 that I added a non captured tungsten guide rod from zev (glockworx). I am using the ISMI #15 spring. I like it. A little extra weight. But I will say that I am starting to see a wear mark around the guide rod about 1/3 of the way back from the muzzle. It is not bad but it is there. I think I read somewhere that others have seen this. I do not know if I would be better off with the red zev spring instead? I will probably just keep the ISMI. As for extensions, I am using Dawson. They work well, and seem to be made well. I am getting +4, but I can force +5, it is just not re-loadable for me.

I had the red spring on my SS Zev rod and ended up having to get the ISMI springs due to many failures to go into battery with the red spring. Seems it just did not have enough UMPH to get the G35 slide back into battery.

I had the red spring on my SS Zev rod and ended up having to get the ISMI springs due to many failures to go into battery with the red spring. Seems it just did not have enough UMPH to get the G35 slide back into battery.

OK. I will stay with the ISMI then. Thanks.

Thanks, I'll probably go with a Zev if I can't get a used one off the forum. Maybe Ill order one of each spring.

And I'll probably end up picking up another Dawson extension. What followers are people running to get the 20th round in and usable. Thanks