Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun question

CE325

Can you use a AK-47 in 3 gun?

My local range does 3 gun matches no shots longer than 30 yards due to the size of the bays, so I really

Don't need to get a ar all built up for accuracy.

I'm just thinking about trying it and using my AK I already have.

Also what would be a good cheap shotgun to use to start out with?

Thanks

An AK will work just fine. Seen several people using them before. The best shotgun is one you already have. That way you can get a taste of 3 gun and upgrade later. If you don't have a shotgun already, just about any pump or auto will work fine. You might even be able to find someone willing to borrow you one for the match.

Even better if it's a '74. Lightweight, no recoil should be great for those types of bays. Shoot what you have, go to some matches, try other peoples guns, then you can spend your money where you really want to spend it.

Go for it. I've seen AK's that are very accurate and others where you can't hit a dinner plate at 50 yds. Most are somewhere in between, plenty good for short range stages. One issue with AK's is the speed of mag changes since you have to rock the mag in, but practice helps a lot with that. If you have a pump or semi-auto shotgun, bring what ever you've got. Or see if you can borrow one. If you need to buy one? Depends on how much you want to spend and whether you can deal with a pump or not. Remington 870 HD? Mossberg 930 (JM model if you can find one and afford it, SPX (the more normal one without the big muzzle brake) if you can't).