Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry-firing multiple shots

JD45

I was wondering how everybody else does this. The technique of holding the trigger back and cycling the slide to feel the reset works well.....for one shot. Now what? Currently I leave the hammer down and work the slack in the trigger, but you know how that feels compared to the real thing. Got any ideas for dry-firing a 1911 multiple times for fast splits? Anything has to be better than what I'm doing.

JD,

Here is an excerpt from my dry fire book that addresses that very question. I hope you find it helpful!

These drills all require multiple “shots” and after the first shot the gun will be uncocked and the trigger will respond differently. This is no big deal. These drills are about teaching your body to follow and work with your vision, and less about bulls-eye type trigger control. I do not mean to imply that trigger control is not important and should not be practiced; just that fine trigger control is not the purpose of most of these drills.

On a 1911, just continue to press and release the trigger after the hammer falls for the first shot.

With a traditional double action semi-automatic such as the Beretta, pull the first shot double action, then hold the trigger back and release it enough to simulate another shot without engaging the double action pull again. You may find some value in firing every shot double action, especially if your first shot tends to be inaccurate in live fire, but I do not think it should be the normal mode of practice. I do release the trigger for reloads, so your first pull after a reload will be double action again.

SA

Actually I find dry firing in DA with my Beretta to be very beneficial. I usually do about 100-200 a night during the season, and then do another 100 or so single action (practicing the reset at the same time). I practice doubles, triples, and target transition at the same time. Using small 2 inch round dots as my targets 7 -10 ft away in my office.

Many years ago I had an FFL and took delivery of firearms at my office. One day I received a very nice 20ga O/U that I had just assembled and swung on point just as a new employee I was training entered my office. I still think he went to the head to change those drawers, LOL.

I hope you don't get much traffic in your office during dry fire practice.

Back then the work place was much less politically correct and everyone knew about my firearms interest (almost everyone!).

Oh yea my dry practice is with a revolver so double taps etc is less of a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

For a 1911, the pressure you need to drop the hammer should be the same regardless of wether you're actually dropping the hammer or just working the trigger. At first this may feel weird or different but evetually you'll find the right balance between that pressure and sight movement. Just pull subsequent shots as if you're actually firing and pay very close attention to what your sights are telling you.

• 3 months later...
With a traditional double action semi-automatic such as the Beretta, pull the first shot double action, then hold the trigger back and release it enough to simulate another shot without engaging the double action pull again. You may find some value in firing every shot double action, especially if your first shot tends to be inaccurate in live fire, but I do not think it should be the normal mode of practice. I do release the trigger for reloads, so your first pull after a reload will be double action again.

SA

Interesting.

Fellow forum member eyecutter just loaned me his CZ with a double action trigger. After 2 hous of dry fire, my whole strong hand is stiff due to working the DA trigger!

This being my very fist DA trigger I think I have a problem. Everytime I work the DA pull, my stronghand thumb also curls down. If this is something bad, any tips on how I can get rid of this? Or will this disappear as I get comfy with the trigger? (This is an IPSC gun so the trigger is already set to 5lbs, I think, and could no longer be lowered.)

Thanks.