Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport .40

Jody Waring

Going to start experimenting more with loads for my TS and have WSF, WST, 231, Silhouette, Titegroup, so I am

Wondering where I will be loading short oal for the TS which powder would be best? I am shooting mostly a vast 180gr but will use some played as well. So far I have tried WSF and 231, I wasn't getting any fouling with WSF but did with 231. I bought some WST to use in .45 and am hoping that it may be a good powder to use in all my pistols 9mm, .40, and .45. With the cast 180 I find for reliability I am having to load really short; 1.125-1.130 with the short chamber of the CZ. Feeding is 100% though, but with such reduced case capacity, should I be staying away from faster powders?

I can't speak for all TS, but a friend's barrel was slow, requiring more powder than my own 5" STI's. Do the usual "start low and work up" with a chrono handy. Don't be surprised if you wind up in the upper half of the powder range of your reloading manual.

I'm using WSF under a MG 165 or Berry's 165 FP bullet. Charge is 6.4 gr, OAL is 1.135. It feels slightly lighter than Federal 165 gr factory, but still cycles quickly. I don't have a chrono to test, but am pretty confident based on the book data that it makes major.

I use WSF in my Glock 40's and my STI Eagle. I shoot Precision 185 molykoted bullets over 4.6-4.7 of WSF in a Glock 24. I load the round to 1.135. In the Eagle I started out with the same load at the same length, but ended up going to 4.9 of WSF out of the 5" Bar Sto barrel. I've used some WST, and a couple of other powders briefly, but keep coming back to WSF. I get very consistent chrono readings and it meters nicely through the powder measure. (maybe that's why I get consistent readings?)

A few mentions of WSF, which is funny as that is what I've been using and I'm wondering if maybe it might be my best choice. What attracted me to it first was that I found actual data that made major and listed pressures were low which made it appealing for safety as well as case life, and slightly slower burning which works good for cast bullets. I am going to check out solo if I can get my hands on some. Keep the info coming, it's a great help!

Edited by Jody Waring