Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.1 Digital Receiver and Speaker Set

So I'd like to graduate to the 2000's and upgrade my entertainment center. Right now it's only a TV, no receiver or speakers to speak of. When I play games or anything like that, I plug in my surround sound headphones that I have. They are still really nice, but now that I have a house I don't need to worry about neighbors or anything.

I'm just starting the research phase of the purchase, but I'll take any input on what people like / don't like, what they looked for in a unit (I may be missing something obvious), brands to stay away from, etc. Information can't hurt, and I won't use this thread as my only decision making tool.

As for budget...I don't know. I don't know what I can get for what $$, but I'm willing to spend to get a nice system that will last.

I think I'm leaning toward wireless speakers, but I could run speaker wire if I needed to. Either via basement or attic.

So BENOVERSE, help me spend some money.

Thank you in advance.

Darren

Minimum: 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers (for surround sound), a sub-woofer (for deep bass sounds), and a center channel speaker (for conversations in TV)...then an AV receiver/amp that will be compatible with your TV, computer, and with enough power to drive all the above. There are a lot of packages out there.

Edited to add: I'm more than happy with my 10 year old Harman-Kardon AV receiver, newer JBL Speakers, and dang I can't remember the sub-woofer I have. I can rock the house when Top Gun is playing Danger Zone.

Edited by Mark R

As with all electronics, every year you can get more (features) for less ($$$). What was the hot ticket 3 years ago may not even be in production today. Like all things audio, the speakers are the key. The power output needs to match the room size and the effect you want. The receiver needs to have low distortion and at least 1.5x or 2x output over what you think you need so you stay in a low distortion range of amplification.

Anther key feature is get one that does automatic calibration - you plug in a small mic, put it where you sit to watch TV and it automatically adjusts speaker relative outputs (volume, frequency, phase) to the correct levels.

As to reliability and such info, spend a few $$$ for an online subscription to Consumers Report or other similar site. Good brand data there.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

• 3 months later...

I would start by going to www.newegg.com and check out the Klipsch Icon WF-35's. They're a $1500 per pair speaker system that is marked down to $349 per speaker. Buy a WC-24 center to match in either the reddish colored speaker, or the espresso which is brownish. They're REALLY nice speakers that will reproduce just about anything well even with a low wattage receiver. As for receivers, I'd start with Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha, and a few others but those are my main 3 and in that order. I'm in the market for a new pioneer receiver myself and I'm looking at the VSX-1121-K for its connectivity and other options. You can get it for the $500 range. After that check out www.lavasubs.com and look at a 12" subwoofer. If you want to drop money on a REALLY nice sub, check out HSU subs or SVS subs. Those latter two are beautiful subs that do amazing. Lava is a bit more budget but its one of the best bang for the bucks you can buy for a quality sub at the moment. If you want a full 5.1 system, your rear 2 are your call, but the Icon W bookshelves will match and are a great deal at newegg.com as well. Lastly, go to www.monoprice.com and check out the banana plugs and 14ga or better speaker wire. I have used all of the above gear and if you want an amazing home theater that'll knock your socks off for the $1500 range, that will be a setup that you can use for the next 10+ years or so. Your only bottle neck in the future would be the receiver depending on how connections go in the next decade or so. My reciver is almost 12 years old and people still say how good my system sounds when they come over for a movie because I bought one of the best at the time.

You can get so deep in audio as well as any hobby, but the things I listed above would go

$700 front mains (Klipsch Icon WF-35's)

$229 for center (matching your mains and this is IMPORTANT)

$399 shipped for sub (12" Lava sub shipped)

$499 for receiver (Pioneer I quoted above)

$199 rear WB-14 speakers (Also Klipsch)

so $1800 shipped for everything. That will literally be a theater quality setup that if you have a blu-ray player and a few HDMI cables with a decent TV, you'll never have to leave for a movie again. I'm always blown away at the quality and I have just about that exact setup with a different receiver and a dual sub setup. My rears are 5.25" 2 way carbon fiber bookshelf speakers that don't match the front but thats less important.

The main thing not to skimp on are your main front 3 speakers, and your sub. Your rear surrounds and receiver you can get away with some cheaper gear but DON'T skimp on the things I mentioned above as thats where most of your sound will come from.

IMAG0762.jpg

Edited by bombadillo

You can easily get deep into this and once you start buying the first piece you're way in it biggrin.gif

First factor you have to consider is the size of room you have to fill, this will steer you to the right system selection for the features and price. Bomba is correct, there should be a seamless transition between you speaker system; especially the front main and the center channel where 80 to 90% of the sound will be coming from. Best to get the same brand and model and some of the high-end brands do have a home theater speaker system. Forget wireless, wired is king.

• 2 months later...

These can be found almost anywehere

Low end:

Any Onkyo 5.1/6.1/7.1 set in a box.I have a 6.1 system that I picked up for $350 almost 7 years ago that still sounds and looks great.

Mid end:

Anything Klipsch! Best Buy can set you up. Great sound and look but you have to supply you own receiver/amp. I like Yamaha for the price and features.

I've bought and sold thousands of $$$ of audio gear in the last few years. Believe it or not, the best place to buy good gear cheap is yard sales, Craigslist, and thrift stores. I've probably bought 7 sets of B&W (Bowers and Wilkins) audiophile grade speakers, countless receivers (just bought an Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 receiver with 4 HDMI's for $10 on Saturday), power amps, pre amps, subwoofers, cables, center channels, you name it. I'm still storing a $7000 set of Duntech speakers I bought for $70 two years ago at a yard sale.

Audio equipment at the low to mid-range is constantly being replaced, and thus the depreciation on it is outstanding. When you get into better quality and audiophile grade equipment, it's not so much. The key to is to understand just how discerning an ear you actually have. If you're looking for LOUD, then most mid grade equipment will do, but if that's the case, buy a decent powered sub. If you dabble in jazz and classical, go for tonality and a higher definition speaker. Check the audio forums and read up on users experiences. My best advise though is that if you're going for low to mid-range, buy used and buy well.

I've probably bought 7 sets of B&W (Bowers and Wilkins)

+1 on the B&Ws, they're a great speaker. Well worth the money (well to me anyway). I've a pair for 20+ year old 601s that are as good now as the day they were bought. My current A/V setup is a Yamaha RX-V671, it has 5 HDMI inputs, and is a 7.1 system, the speakers are the Elac Starlet 5.1, a really nice speaker at a very good price. I will be upgrading to the B&Ws once I move house in the next few months. For cables, I got everything from http://www.bluejeanscable.com/, excellent service, and good quality, without the price.

If you can, go to a store that has a listening room, and try out what you are thinking of buying.

Hugh