Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended Firing Pin

smoothdraw

Do you guys use the CZ custom extended Firing Pin in your guns and projects or prefer the Cajun Gun Works extended firing pin solution? Why?

I'm getting a little bit scared with the Cajun gun works with lightened spring because it is so long, it is actually 2.50" . Just to put the hammer behind the pin, the tip of the pin is already protruding out in my 75 shadow. I'm using a federal pistol primer and if i slide lock then release the slide, it may go bang! I haven't tried it yet but am i just being a pussy here?

The CZ Extended firing pin on the other hand if i could remember is just a tad longer than the standard firing pin around 2.475 (i'll measure it again tonight). This is what i have on my SP-01 shadow that has 13lbs hammer spring. And have been really reliable. Actually my friend Burning Squirrels just use standard firing pin in all of his guns and all are reliable with 13lbs hammer spring and federal pistol primers.

The thing is i'm playing with CGW's 11.5lbs hammer spring to lighten up my Double action a bit. Anybody have tried the 11.5lbs hammer spring with CZ-Custom extended firing pin???

Talk with David. his pin should measure 2.490

2.500 will stick out with the hammer at rest..not a good thing

CZ ext pins measure around 2.475-2.480, trying to remember correctly..I'll measure some when I get to the shop.

13# spring with std firing pin should light off everything except maybe some russian surplus stuff. CZC test fires agains Fiochi ammo

13# and ext. firing pin. WILL light off everything.

11.5 from CGW with either ext. firing pin you should be good with FED and WIN, double check with anything else.

8.5 and ext firing pin will get you 100% on FED and possibly WIN.

This has been my experience only and generally what I work from when setting up guns. there will always be a gun set up that will go against the odds..so test and test.

Thanks Stuart,

Are all using standard firing pin spring or have to use lightened firing spring as well in combination?

Yes, I generally do.

If I don't use an extended firing pin, on a B model gun, if I don't use an ext. firing pin, I will modify the slot to allow more travel of the pin.

My Shadow pins should be 2.500" +/- .002", firing pin block equipped pins should be 2.490" +/- .002". Of course a Shadow won't fit a "B" type and vise versa. The pin will typically protrude from the breech with the hammer fully lowered. But these pins are typically only used in competition type pistols.

I offer a 2.475" "B" type pin for carry and general use CZ's (which is not listed on my website).

What is the rationale for having a longer FP for shadows (2.500") that do not have firing pin block while mentioning that 2.490" is "optimum" for SP-01's that has firing pin block. Shouldn't it be the other way around???

smoothdraw,

Extensive testing has shown the SP-01 will not accept a 2.500 FP due to the internal slide cut in the FP channel. The SP-01 is 2.490" or it will protrude from the breech face as cause feeding issues. The Shadow does accept a 2.500". Both FP's have worked well in comp only pistols using hammersprings as light as 8.5#'s with Federal primers only.

Yesterday i used the CGW 11.5 lbs hammer spring with CZ custom ext firing pin at 2.496 with recommended spring. 1st stage light strike right away. With federal primers..

Returned my 13 lbs hammer spring and it fired the rest of the 5 stages. BTW i remember that i have some light strikes before when i have the 13 lbs hammer spring and using standard firing pin and standard firing pin spring, that's the reason i got a CZ custon ext firing pin. I asked burning squirrels again what he is using and he says standard firing pin with 15 lbs hammer spring not 13 lbs.

I 'll set-up next a 2.490 cgw ext firing pin with lightened spring. I'll set this up in my next local match and see if it will survive the match. Will also check for slam fire.