Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get good accurate powder charges?

Always make the final adjustment on the adjustment bolt in a clockwise direction. (Take all the slop out of the threads in the same direction each time.)

Excellent advice I had forgotten long ago. Now there's a note by the press.

Thank you

After I have my powder in the measure, I take my bench wrench and tap several times on the hopper until all the powder is settled. Then I start weighing and adjusting the measure.. This really cuts down on the amount of throwing and adjusting I have to do.

Always make the final adjustment on the adjustment bolt in a clockwise direction. (Take all the slop out of the threads in the same direction each time.)

Why will it not take the slop out of the bolt in a counter clockwise direction?

Tom

That works. The important thing being that you always make the final adjustment in the same direction.

Why will it not take the slop out of the bolt in a counter clockwise direction?

Tom

Maybe. You have a 50/50 chance...since you left out the word "always". :)

Well I must have done a good job because my first loads all performed well and with the increase of power expected.

I did not crimp 3 out of 80 properly and they did not feed at all, as expected.

On my last batch, at 6.3 great of Power Pistol, I got a group less then 2" at 60ft, vs 4" with WWB.

So wow... definitely hooked up now.

I also analyzed what can cause issues with the powder system and the bar... it is simply new. Moving it by hand I could feel resistance which can cause erratic charges.

I am thinking about using 000.

My ex wife pawned all my tools during our divorce process so no more tools lol.

The 550 is my divorce celebration / 43 year old birthday gift to myself smile.gif

did you get a case gauge with your press ? dropping each loaded bullet into the case gauge will point out any round that is not crimped..

did you get a case gauge with your press ? dropping each loaded bullet into the case gauge will point out any round that is not crimped..

Yes, I am doing just fine, now. Had zero issues at the IDPA AZ championship.

I case gauge every single round and if one sticks a little bit, it is deemed not-competition worthy and goes into a separate box, for drills and practice.