Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P1640 Mag Differences, Black and Stainless

joelogic

I tried to search but didnt have any luck. I noticed that the ribs on the black mags dont go as low (feed lips to base) as the ribs on the stainless mags. Consequently when I add the Dawson pads on the stainless mags the rounds feed just fine but on the black mags the spring binds when fully loaded. Is there a fix or should I just try and find more stainless mags? Both mags have the factory spring. I will post pics tomorrow.

TIA,

Joe

I have both mags also and have not noticed a difference. I did however radius (smoothed) the front and back of the factory followers like in the DP video. I also replaced all the mag springs with ISMI Para 140mm mag springs and I've had no reliability issues. In one of my black tubes I can get 22rnds of 40s&w . :roflol:

I have 3 P16 blued mag tubes recently purchased from Para and they match my nickel plated mags perfectly. I suspect your problem mags are from another mfg. As to a solution, my standard operating procedure is make sure there are no burrs, run a chunk of Scothbrite pad thru it several times and finish up by running a silicone cloth thru it. Let us know what you find.

Edited by buckaroo45

I have the same thing with mine. The two black mags that came with the gun have the ribs about 1/2 inch or so shorter than the stainless. I havent noticed any issues with feeding except when I tried to use the arredondo base pads. the follower would turn upside down for some reason. When I switched to dawson pads and wolff +10% springs the issue is solved. I use stock para followers with the ends radiused and smoothed.

When I was shooting a match I loaded the gun and after the second shot the chamber was empty and changed mags. When I picked up the black mag and pulled off the base it seemed the spring was bound in the bottom portion of the mag.

Thanks for the tip, Burddawg. I will look into other base pads or different springs.

The stainless mags came in the factory box and the black mags I bought from Para Pro Shop so I assume they are factory mags.

2367a1c4.jpg

a732be5c.jpg

also wanted to mention the followers I was using that were giving me issues were arredondo followers. once I switched to para followers the issue was solved. also look into smoothing out the rib on the inside of the mag. using a dremel with a sanding drum just lightly transition it so that its not to abrupt.

When I was shooting a match I loaded the gun and after the second shot the chamber was empty and changed mags. When I picked up the black mag and pulled off the base it seemed the spring was bound in the bottom portion of the mag.

Thanks for the tip, Burddawg. I will look into other base pads or different springs.

The stainless mags came in the factory box and the black mags I bought from Para Pro Shop so I assume they are factory mags.

Quote]

You're description of your mag problem is not a new issue. The follower is getting stuck while transfering from the basepad to the mag body when it's fully loaded. All mags with extended basepads can have this problem. You need to use factory para followers and radius (smoothed) the front and back of the follower. There is a good video from Dawson Precision on youtube on how to modify the followers to fix this issue.

Edited by Roy Hess

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some "new" Para 16 mags from a major distributor. When I tried to install new Dawson extensions I found the followers were hanging up at the bottom of the "channels". Turns out they were STI 38/40 followers! I had thought the springs fit the followers strange but put them together anyway. I installed the correct Dawson followers (bottom edge filed), ISMI 140 MM springs and Dawson extensions. Voila'. No more hangups. They now load 20 comfortably and run perfectly. Yea for Dawson stuff! :cheers:

Edited by buckaroo45

• 3 weeks later...

Which Dawson basepads are you guys using? The Tooless or the EZ-off. I am looking a the EZ-off, but it says

"Requires Newer Style Para Magazine Floorplate for Baseplate Installation."

My gun is probably the older style as it was MFG in Canada. I guess these basepads are non-compatible?