Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger safety does not work after spring install

ProGunGuy

I put in an stronger trigger spring and a reduced power striker spring in my G34. I noticed the trigger no longer seems to have enough spring power to pull the trigger forward to activate the trigger safety. Is this normal? Could i get in trouble in IDPA or USPSA for this?

I put in an stronger trigger spring and a reduced power striker spring in my G34. I noticed the trigger no longer seems to have enough spring power to pull the trigger forward to activate the trigger safety. Is this normal? Could i get in trouble in IDPA or USPSA for this?

Unfortunately, this is common on some frames.

Yes, you will be disqualified at major matches as you are disabling a fundamental safety.

I had similar problems on my G17 after I put in a new trigger housing, using the same springs. Sometimes the trigger spring loop is not sitting in the little recess where it hooks onto the trigger housing or trigger bar. It's slightly off center, and then it rubs along the inside of the trigger housing. And sometimes when you take out the trigger spring it gets twisted ever so slight, and also rubs inside trigger housing. It's just enough resistance with the light striker spring to cause the trigger safety to not reset sometimes. Take it apart and first make sure the spring is straight and the loops form an even s shape. Then reassemble making sure the spring is centered in the recess at both ends.

I just had this same problem. I recently added a lightened striker and striker spring to my 34 which already had a heavy trigger spring. I did not notice any problems at the time but after a detail cleaning I noticed that the trigger would not reset if partially depressed. I was originally thinking that the combination of springs was the problem. I did not even need to do a search on the topic as this thread was on the top of the first page when I started to look. Postal Bob was right on the money, when I looked at the trigger spring it was not on the trigger bar properly and was rubbing on the housing. Thirty seconds later with the help of a small pick the spring was back on the trigger bar properly and the trigger was resetting as normal. Without Postal Bob’s post I would have likely just disassembled the gun and never found the cause, I will make sure to check the trigger spring more carefully after reassembly now.

• 3 months later...

I installed trigger mods last night to my new g34 and noticed this issue too. I did a few things and it seemed to work.

First i took the trigger out and deburred the frame where the hole is for the trigger in the guard. I then took the locking block and polished the insides where the pin goes through. To help reduce friction from the slide catch and the trigger rubbing.

This seemed to let the trigger rest normal after depressing it slighty. I def have to check out the spring alignment and then it should be good to go.