Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Division handicaps

Will_M

I tried looking up results from Nationals and seeing what the top guys were doing, but with the weird combinations of divisions shooting during the week it's hard to get a lot of data.

My question to you is this: We have hypothetical "Shooter X" who is equally proficient in all divisions. Assuming he shoots a match set up like Nationals would be (e.g. not set up like SS Nationals or a revolver only match). What do you think his/her percentages would be?

Open = 100%

This may help you compare:

http://combinedresul....php/match/2805

http://combinedresul....php/match/1904

http://combinedresul....php/match/2386

etc.

Basically, try to find the level II matches since that will have a bigger draw for shooters and give you a bigger data sample.

Edited by Skydiver

Well that gets me close. Looking at some of the results I'm seeing something close to:

Open = 100%

Limited = 85% approximately

Limited 10 = 80% approximately

Production = 80% approximately

Single Stack = 72% on a rough average from Area 1

Revolver = 58% Based off Jerry's finish at the 2011 nationals.

Do these numbers seem reasonable?

Well that gets me close. Looking at some of the results I'm seeing something close to:

Open = 100%

I would think Production would be lower than L10 because of the minor scoring, but that's just a hunch not a data-validated opinion.

I would think Production would be lower than L10 because of the minor scoring, but that's just a hunch not a data-validated opinion.

I figured so as well with the magwell, holster, major PF advantage. I just did a rough average in my head based off some of the results posted earlier. They were relatively close.

Open = 100%

Perhaps the people that shoot production are (on average) more serious than those that shoot L10. I've considered L10, just because i'm too cheap to buy stuff to increase the capacity of my gun, but i still want to shoot major (i.e., i'm not really serious). I think i'd probably score better shooting production minor.

Would it surprise you to know that the HHF on some Classifiers is actually more demanding of Production than it is of Limited?

I think a big factor is that Minor Scoring is actually something of an advantage in certain instances-- if for no other reason than it puts a higher premium on accurate hits. Sure, Major might only lose 1 point per Charlie, but if you really get to hosing, those points begin to add up quickly-- especially mixed with a Delta. On the local level anyway, I see the Production guys shooting more points-per-stage than Limited and L10 folks of the same Classification/relative skill level-- while still putting up similar times.

As to the magwell, gear placement and holster options-- the only time they're going make a real difference between L10 and Production is on stand-and-deliver stages, like Speed Shoots, Standards and Classifiers. (The holster is nominal all the way around, IMHO; the well and the gear placement certainly make the reloads more speedy.) In a field course, BOTH Divisions better have a plan that sees them reloading while moving, as opposed to standing. If an L10 shooter can shot-to-shot a reload in 1.3, and a Production shooter can do it in 1.45, but it takes BOTH men 1.7 seconds to travel between positions, there's really nothing gained.

At the levels at which you're establishing your percentages, those guys just aren't making the mistakes that a magwell might let you get away with, either. If you, myself and Justin added all of our lifetime reloads together, we'd probably be in the realm of 25% of what Matt Mink has done since earning his GM card (never mind the rest of his shooter career). And I know the three of us practice quite a bit! I read a quote from Travis the other day that said, "After a million repetitions, you should be *pretty good*." :surprise: