Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Knuckle and finger pain from S_I limited grip

I have a finger and knuckle pain problem I have not seen addressed.

When I practice and shoot +600 rds. a week with my SVI limited gun my strong hand middle finger knuckle hurts & swells and the pain radiates into my finger and top of hand.

The grip has been shaped for a high hold with small hands but I can't tell if its from recoil or the pulling apart of the knuckle due to the big grip and finger angle on the limited gun grip, It could even be from reloads stressing my knuckle, or draws? I don't have this problem with a singlestack or Glock.

I want to get this figured out before I go Open.

My next course of action is a grip job by Jim Shanahan as from what I have seen of his work he is the grip doctor.

Have you tried a stock grip without the cutout for that finger? What that cutout might be doing is directing the force onto your finger, instead of allowing it to slide freely under the triggerguard. I know the undercut is "hip" and "cool", but my guess is that is the cause of your pain.

I've bought a couple new grips on the USPSA classifieds for around $75.

You could also trying sticking some thick moleskin in that area to act as a shock absorber.

I think I know what you mean, and I carve out all my grips to accomidate that knuckle, good old dremmel :), my hands aren't fat enough to have them not hurt unless I do this. I do have a fairly good caulous there now, but when I shoot a gun that isn't fit for me it hurts fairly soon. It may not look as pretty but then again it works, so I do it.

The people doctor told me to quit shooting, yeah, thats going to happen. <_<

The ring does give me the occasional headache but seems to help the hand pain go away. ;)

There is no sharp edge, its internal joint pain.

Jim answered just as I had figured that he has heard of this and can fix it. B)