Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trouble with new .45 mags

mumzer

just rec'd a batch of the new mecgar .45 mags. They ran great the first trip to the range although 2/5 hold 9, not 10 rds. Just shot them again this weekend with a winchester truncated cone FMJ load and they stubbornly failed to feed the last round in the mag.

Feed ramp looks pretty good. The unsupported rounds seem to run fine. Its just the last one that appears to be nose down enough that it cant make the jump into the chamber.

is the Truncated Cone a known issue on the .45s or do i need more mag spring?

open to suggestions.

thanks

just rec'd a batch of the new mecgar .45 mags. They ran great the first trip to the range although 2/5 hold 9, not 10 rds. Just shot them again this weekend with a winchester truncated cone FMJ load and they stubbornly failed to feed the last round in the mag.

Feed ramp looks pretty good. The unsupported rounds seem to run fine. Its just the last one that appears to be nose down enough that it cant make the jump into the chamber.

is the Truncated Cone a known issue on the .45s or do i need more mag spring?

open to suggestions.

thanks

No gun runs all ammo. TC ammo has never run well for me in any caliber or gun i've owned. I just don't use it anymore. It's not the mag spring it's the bullet.

There's got to be at least 50 different brands of 45 ammo for sale, find a brand like what cycled thru the first time. Round nose.

Edited by david s

I have ran Xtreme 185gr flat point bullets (they look similar to the truncated cone) in my .45 and they seemed to feed the same as everything else. But like I said I backed the OAL down so they seated the same depth as if they had a full point on them.