Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unless otherwise stated in the written stage briefing

sperman

This phrase, or a variation thereof, appears many times in the rulebook. I would like a little clarification on what exactly this means.

Let me start by saying I know you can't put something in the WSB that violates the rulebook. But the way some of these rules are written seems to leave some grey area.

8.1.3 Courses of fire may require ready conditions which are different to those stated above. In such cases, the required ready condition must be clearly stated in the written stage briefing. When a Handgun Ready Condition requires a handgun be prepared with an empty chamber (or cylinder), the slide of the handgun must be fully forward (or the cylinder must be fully closed) and the hammer or striker must be fully down or fully forward, as the case may be, unless otherwise specified in the stage briefing.

So the WSB could require the slide to be locked back or the cylinder open?

9.5.1 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, scoring paper targets must be shot with a minimum of one round each, with the best two hits to score. Scoring metal targets must be shot with a minimum of one round each and must fall to score.

Could the WSB require the target be shot with a mnimum of 2 rounds each for it to be "engaged?" I know you can score more than 2 hits on a target, but the way this is worded it seems like you could require more than one round minimum.

This one is probably the most bizarre, IMO.

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at waist level. The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops.

The WSB can require you to wear your belt somewhere other than at waist level? Can it allow/require the competitor to remove his belt?

I would never do any of these things in a stage I design, but I've shown up to matches where the stages are "creative." I just want to know when to call bullshit and when to accept that something is legal.

Basically the rule book gives the stage designer a lot of leeway, as long as it is spelled out in the stage briefing. some of the things you Can do would make you a very un-popular guy, but legal under the rules.

how about this for a start position "holster on ground under table, handgun is field striped in closed ammo can on table, empty magazines berried under the big rock, bullets mixed in bucket of sand"

Mike

how about this for a start position "holster on ground under table, handgun is field striped in closed ammo can on table, empty magazines berried under the big rock, bullets mixed in bucket of sand"

Mike

Sounds like a great idea for a stage, think they would run me out of town if I tried it?roflol.gif

Basically the rule book gives the stage designer a lot of leeway, as long as it is spelled out in the stage briefing. some of the things you Can do would make you a very un-popular guy, but legal under the rules.

Mike

It's stages like that where people might, jokingly of course, threaten to light the stage designer on fire. Kind of like this stage I shot this weekend, now what was the name of the guy who designed that stage again?

The odd start positions and handgun conditions are intended to throw off the shooter's concentration and comfort level, and thereby adhere to the principles of testing the skills of each competitor against the other. (The mental aspects of our sport are darn important, after all.)

There is of course an obvious line to be crossed. And stepping over it, even if it's permitted in the Rule Book, serves no real purpose. A thoughtful person might consider it "cute for the sake of being cute", at best.

I'd say anything that includes having the ammunition out of the gun, or the gun disassembled in any fashion, is certainly across that line. Consider the differences in Limited Division between someone using a Glock and someone using a 2011, in terms of reassembly...

Yes, yes-- I know we were having fun and being silly to some degree. And I like cool starting positions as much as anyone-- the very first stage I designed had one! But preserving the spirit of the sport is still worth mentioning, IMHO.

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at waist level. The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops.

The WSB can require you to wear your belt somewhere other than at waist level? NO Can it allow/require the competitor to remove his belt?NO

How about if it were written to stop you from wearing it down around your ass. The second sentence would keep you from having to remove it, the allied equipment would be the magazines. I have seen several new shooters at my home club who show up with a belt/holster/mag pouchs thrown over the top of an untucked shirt. This is where I find someone else to RO them so I can have a friendly word as another just shooter not the RO. I even had a friend take his belt & holster off on a stage that had the gun on the headboard and you started on your back.

Chuck if I recall correctly all the start positions were pretty simple it was just everything after the beep that was complicated.

I like that the rule book gives us standards but also the freedom to be creative, it is one of the things that makes our sport fun. but you will notice that the rule book gives most of the leeway prior to the start signal after that it is up to the shooter, like Sin-ster said we get to mess with your head at make ready after the beep we can only hope you are shooting it the way we thought you would.

Mike

The WSB can require you to wear your belt somewhere other than at waist level? NO Can it allow/require the competitor to remove his belt?NO

How about if it were written to stop you from wearing it down around your ass. The second sentence would keep you from having to remove it, the allied equipment would be the magazines. I have seen several new shooters at my home club who show up with a belt/holster/mag pouchs thrown over the top of an untucked shirt. This is where I find someone else to RO them so I can have a friendly word as another just shooter not the RO. I even had a friend take his belt & holster off on a stage that had the gun on the headboard and you started on your back.

That would make perfect since if it didn't have the the phrase UOSITWSB at the beginning. That's what has me confused.