Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm mag

RickyH

Let's be more specific.

There are two small flat raised areas on the gauge at the inside dimensions where the flat of the magazine *must* lay and *touch*, these flats are up at the top where the feed lips are and at the bottom where the basepad is. You'll see them, they are little ridged in the machined gauge, the one at the feed lip end is approx .5" wide, and the other is right above the large cutout for the basepad, and extends up approx 1"... The mag *has* to lay flat against those and there should be *no* daylight that you can see between the mag body and those raised portions.

Alan

the mag does not have to be flat against the back.(it just has to less than 171) my 170 glock mags wont lay flat with the taylor freelance extensions and the are legal, and have been checked a few times

In the uspsa gauge, the *ONLY* way that a mag can pass is if it's flat against those 2 pads... The reason - that is the shortest taper as a part of the measurement taper, if it's not flat, it's longer than 171.xxmm which is the max length allowed. We just went through this at the AL match and quite a number of people who were running 4mm+ basepads on 170's found their way into a pay for but no score match.

505-1096.jpg

I borrowed this from the Dawson site, if you look at the mag on the left, it would not pass as you can see daylight at the top where the pad is... and you can see the taper that the mag has to fit against and then against those pads. Just to fit inside the taper and not be flush against the back won't pass. The right mag will pass and you can see the small flat pads as well.

See appendix E1 for the specifics, and you'll see that the dimension is from the back edge of the feed lips to the back edge of the basepad as the basepad sets in the groove for it.

And while on the this topic, you know that grip tape that people are putting on their mags, that will count in the measurement unless you remove it.

Edited by Alan Adamson

the mag does not have to be flat against the back.(it just has to less than 171) my 170 glock mags wont lay flat with the taylor freelance extensions and the are legal, and have been checked a few times

In the uspsa gauge, the *ONLY* way that a mag can pass is if it's flat against those 2 pads... The reason - that is the shortest taper as a part of the measurement taper, if it's not flat, it's longer than 171.xxmm which is the max length allowed. We just went through this at the AL match and quite a number of people who were running 4mm+ basepads on 170's found their way into a pay for but no score match.

505-1096.jpg

I borrowed this from the Dawson site, if you look at the mag on the left, it would not pass as you can see daylight at the top where the pad is... and you can see the taper that the mag has to fit against and then against those pads. Just to fit inside the taper and not be flush against the back won't pass. The right mag will pass and you can see the small flat pads as well.

See appendix E1 for the specifics, and you'll see that the dimension is from the back edge of the feed lips to the back edge of the basepad as the basepad sets in the groove for it.

And while on the this topic, you know that grip tape that people are putting on their mags, that will count in the measurement unless you remove it.

so what your saying is those of us that shoot open glocks can't use Taylor freelance mag ext, because they don't fit flat in the gauge. even though the are under the 171 length. even after being checked by the N.O.R.I. and were deemed legal

505-1096.jpg

so what your saying is those of us that shoot open glocks can't use Taylor freelance mag ext, because they don't fit flat in the gauge. even though the are under the 171 length. even after being checked by the N.O.R.I. and were deemed legal

I suppose this should be moved over to the rules forum if we are going to go there...

The NROI *doesn't* approve mags. Think about it there are way too many combinations of things that can influence the OAL. All the NROI can do it tell you *what* the OAL can be, or should I say can not exceed. Now with that said, this gets a little wonky around a mag where the basepad won't fit in the notch of the gauge ala the Taylor Freelance mags.

As a result, this thread has the specific information for them and no, it doesn't appear that NROI approved them, it simply approved the gauge and how to use it when the basepad won't fit... However, there are some good illustrations that show what is acceptable when the basepad won't fit in the notch of the gauge which looks like it allows for the TF basepad/mag...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119392&view=findpost&p=1350860

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

CRAP!! Im at work and the trash man comes by before lunch. I wonder if my wife will dig my glock mags out or the trash bin :surprise:

Has a company made a glock mag that is all metal? if not- why not? it is metal lined so it should work if the OD is the same.

Edited by thebridge

CRAP!! Im at work and the tash man comes by before lunch. I wonder if my wife will dig my glock mags out or the trash bin :surprise:

Has a company made a glock mag that is all metal? if not- why not? it is metal lined so it should work if the OD is the same.

yes back in the 80's-90's USA MAGS made one in Stainless I bought 1 and still have it, they will eat up your mag release

Edited by fishhunter3