Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Competition vs 320

dbletap_ed

The price of VW seems to have gone through the roof. Has anyone tried Ramshot Competition as a replacement for 320? The burn rate chart in their literature puts it right next to 320. I know that Titegroup is very popular on this forum so what about a comparison to Titegroup as well.

Thanks

Ed Lawson

L415

I have been runnig Competition for a while now, and with the moly coated master blaster bullets in 40, the results have been terrific. A very low variation shot to shot in velocity, and over a fairly wide range, 15-100+ F, temprature range. However, with 180 grain Zero JHPs, I noticed some more primer flattening than 320 usually gives. But, the velocities are just as consistant, and at about $80 +shipping it is comparable to titegroup. I prefer it over TG because it seems to burn a little cleaner, and doesn't seem to have as loud a report. The only problem I have had with it is that there is no reloading data for pistols for it because it is a shotgun only powder. If you want to give it a try, start a little lower in weight than N320, and work up slowly. It has been within +/- .2 grains from my N320 loads with the same bullets and OAL and primer. If you want some data, drop me a PM and I will dig it up for you.

I used V320 with Montana Gold 180 for a long time and switched to Competition about 8 months ago and I like it much better. It actually takes about .3gr less powder, there seems to be less recoil and smoke. Plus it is $25-30 cheaper for a 4 lb keg. Most of our local limited shooters have switched to it and most are using Ramshot Sihlouette or True Blue for Open.

Heres what I dug up for Competition, all loads are with WSR primers in my SV with an AET barrel:

180 gr. master blaster: 4.4 gr Competition, 1.200" 952 fps 171 pf

180 grain Zero JHP: 4.7 gr. Competition, 1.200" 948 fps. 170 pf

200 grain Hornady XTP, 4.4 gr Competition, 1.190", 849 fps, 170 pf *

*= be very acareful with the 200s, I noticed some serious primer flow in my gun.

As for the $80+ shipping, do a google search for shotgun suppliers. I found one that was advertising 8# bottles of Competition for $79.95 + shipping about 4 months ago, and stocked up.

Tree Rat, I don't think it is WST repackaged. I found that it does look pretty similar, but it takes a bit less, 0.4-0.5 gr, to make major in my gun. Also, the Competition seems to run at a good bit higher pressres than WST. I loades up some 200 gr Montata gold FMJ with Competition, N320, and WST last week, and noticed that the Competition loads stuck in my AET chamber about 4% of the time, with top hatted primers, N320 looked and ran fine, as did the WST.

I loades up some 200 gr Montata gold FMJ with Competition, N320, and WST last week, and noticed that the Competition loads stuck in my AET chamber about 4% of the time, with top hatted primers, N320 looked and ran fine, as did the WST.

Okay I'll be a ditz.......:blink:

Stuck in your chamber?

What is a top hatted Primer?

TR

tree rat, I have a fluted chamber, and any overpressure makes the cases stick in the chamber. It makes load selection a little more critical. If you want more info on this, do a search on AET barrels. Now, the term "top-hatted" I picked up from some open shooters. If you shoot a real hot load, the primer cup will be displaced and fill the radius on the edge of the primer pocket in the case. When these primers are popped out of the case, thel look like little metal top hats. It is a prettly glaring sign that max pressure has been exceeded.

Very well. I'm familiar with AET's fluted chamber design but failed to put it and stuck cases together.

Top Hatted.........When your absolutely, positively WAY beyond just your run of the mill flat primer. :D

TR

• 2 months later...

I finally had a chance to load up a few test loads with Ramshot competition and chrono them. I had a much different experience than the folks above. The variation was terrible to say the least. For example with 5.2 grains loaded at 1.200” the velocity was from 885 to 978. I wanted to check the chrono to make sure it was not having problems, even though I could feel the difference, so I put some of my VIT rounds over it with normal results. Just for information I load on a 650 and have not had any problems with the measure. Any ideas? With the price of VIT I need to find something to replace it. HELP

Thanks

Ed Lawson

L415

Ps. It has taken this long to get this done as I live in Florida and work for a Power Company. With Hurricane after Hurricane I am just getting back to shooting.

• 7 months later...

I loaded some test rounds of Ramshot Competition under Master Blasters 180 and Montana Gold 180 bullets. A-zone accuracy with both at 25 yards, not as good as N320, better than Clays. It seemed pretty soft but I didn't shoot a lot. I didn't notice any smoke from the MBBs this time.

MBB velocities: 920 927 935 945 948

MG velocities: 912 925 939 942 949

The MBB 180 with Ramshot Competition seems good enough for club matches and great for practice, but I'm going to stick with MGs over N320 for the big matches.