Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody ever had this happen?

BullyDog

I just got done reloading some 40S&W, and I noticed the primer was pressed in sideways. Just glad this baby didn't go off.

I had in the past upside down primers, but never anything pressed into place sideways.

post-38950-0-01610400-1332552718_thumb.j

Several times... No, a number of times. Time to clean the assembly and make sure there is nothing at the end of the slides travel limiting the moment.

More commonly I have loaded one over another one that did not fall out when the punch pressed it out or stuck to the punch and was drawn back into the pocket....

Edited by Merlin Orr

While you are cleaning, double check that the primer seating "punch" is screwed all the way in, and that it is flush with surface. If it's a little low, or a little high, it can cause the primers to flip or go sideways. Also if the part of the "punch" is actually above the surface, call Dillon and get a replacement. You can probably get by, but you'll notice primers flipping or going in sideways more and more often.

Yeah, had this happen on certain brands of brass. It would crunch them in and sometimes, turn them sideways and I had to keep pressing to get it out of the shellplate. I never had one go off, they are pretty tough!