Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any reloader in the Phoenix area to show me the ropes?

I live in Mesa and would like to know if someone in the Valley could teach me how to reload, preferably using a Dillon.

I am looking to buy a 550 or a 650, still weighing the pros and cons of either.

I can bring my brass, buy powder, bullets and primer, or reimburse you, whichever makes more sense.

I shoot 9mm.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I don't have much to offer in return, unless you need computer help :)

That's a very smart idea, sir. I'm in TN or I'd offer in a heartbeat.

I've had 4 or 5 guys come by my place to learn. So far only one isn't reloading already (he's waiting on money). It's a great way to introduce someone to the craft without any monetary commitment on their part. I usually just reload some ammo for me and let them watch and try it out. One did bring his own brass and bought bullets, primers, and powder from me at my cost. Worked out well.

I hope you get some takers.

BigK

Unfortunately I don't have any 9mm dies yet - all 45, .223 and .308 - or I'd help you out. You can't take your own components but if you want to play with a Dillon I'd suggest a 20 min drive over to the showroom in Scottsdale. Before I bought my 550 I made a couple of trips. If you go over when they are not busy Matt will let you crank you a few rounds (without powder and primers of course) so you can try them all and see the differences yourself. I'd suggest 11 or 3 on a weekday.

Edited by Dirty Rod

I would invite you but I am in Fountain Hills for the winter and my Dillon 550 is in Michigan. If you have any mechanical aptitude you should not have any problems with gthe Dillon 550, Initially treat it as a single stage press and visually inspect including the powder drop until you gain proficiency and speed. If I were not going home next week I would tell you to purchase the Dillon 550 and I would gladly work with youo set it up and guide you through the process.

PS: Do you shoot Tuesday steel at Rio Salado?

Edited by TonyT

I would invite you but I am in Fountain Hills for the winter and my Dillon 550 is in Michigan. If you have any mechanical aptitude you should not have any problems with gthe Dillon 550, Initially treat it as a single stage press and visually inspect including the powder drop until you gain proficiency and speed. If I were not going home next week I would tell you to purchase the Dillon 550 and I would gladly work with youo set it up and guide you through the process.

PS: Do you shoot Tuesday steel at Rio Salado?

Thanks, I do have mechanical aptitude, riding dirt bikes and wrenching up until recently, did a few things on cars and trucks until it all became EFI :) And I am a self taught software engineer, so I guess I can figure it out, just need to be careful and patient as it is gunpowder.

Yes I shoot at TNS @ Rio, still in the novice class, although I have been told I should self promote to D :) If you look at the scores for the few last weeks you can figure my name out, my handle here is the three first letters of first and last name plus my State.

• 4 weeks later...

The NRA offers a Metallic Cartridge Reloading course. Maybe there's one near you.

Name : NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course

Short Description : Teaches beginning reloaders the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to safely reload metallic cartridges.

More Details: This course is eight hours in length and is conducted in a classroom. Each student is taught reloading safety; centerfire cartridge components; using the reloading manual and reloading data; equipment; and the metallic cartridge reloading process. Students will receive the NRA Guide to Reloading handbook, the Basic Reloading Student Exam, a course completion certificate, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, a Basic Firearm Training Program brochure, an Instructor Application/Course Evaluation form. (Lesson Plan, revised 4-05).