Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do STI 9mm mags need the spacer?

tk2

I decided to try my STI 2011 9mm with my STI 38 super magazines, and I haven't had any trouble yet with them.

I am just wondering what type of problems shooters were getting that causes the need for the spacers.

I use my STI as a carry gun sometimes and have noticed that the rounds in the STI 9mm magazines rattle but they don't in the 38 super mags. I'm thinking of using the 38 super mags for carry, but I don't want to take any chances.

Spacers allow for shorter 9mm rounds to bridge both ribs in the STI 38 mags. If you load long 9mm rounds some say you don't need spacers but I don't think I would bet my life on it.

Don't know about trusting my life either but....

Run Many thousands of rounds through several different Benny Built 9mm 2011s with never a single problem. Two different 5" guns and my 6" gun.

STI mags mostly...but some with SVI mags. 140 and 126 mm mags used... Most of the ammo was factory WWB for IDPA. My handloads are at ~1.15 when I do load for the 9.

I run primarily SV mags but I do have 2 STI mags that I have always used spacers in. I tried them originally without spacers and had feed problems and rounds getting under the follower. I load long at 1.170. I use the stainless spacers and taper the bottom edge so that it is even with the base pad ( Dawson ) to keep the follower from catching on it.

I've seen numerous 1911's and 2011's in 9mm over the years, some run better with spacers some run OK without them. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which your gun will prefer.

I know years ago guys were running 10 rd 38 Super mags in their 9mm's to get the extra round. Some guns ran fine with super mags and some didn't. One problem was that if you ejected one with rds left in it, sometimes top round would almost be out of the mag (they moved forward as rd above them was stripped)... this sometimes caused mags to stick.

There's a reason for the factory and so many aftermarket 2011 spacers for the 9mm, the guns generally run 100% with them so why screw around not using them??

I decided to try my STI 2011 9mm with my STI 38 super magazines, and I haven't had any trouble yet with them.

I am just wondering what type of problems shooters were getting that causes the need for the spacers.

I use my STI as a carry gun sometimes and have noticed that the rounds in the STI 9mm magazines rattle but they don't in the 38 super mags. I'm thinking of using the 38 super mags for carry, but I don't want to take any chances.

You will. Just when it will hurt the most. Something about some guy name Murphy.