Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which EAA's have no firing pin block

z40acp

I have been looking at the various CZ 75 style guns to use in USPSA production. Do any of the EAA/ Tanfoglios come without the firing pin block? Interested in one with a 4.75" or 5+" barrel. Do any of the guns on the list have the 5+" barrel { even if it has the block } Thanks

All of the EAA pistols come with a firing pin block. If you are looking at using an EAA pistol in USPSA Production division the Stock I, Stock II, and Limited Pro area all "Production Legal". The only Tanfoglio pistol that has a 5 inch barrel and would be capable of being Production legal is the Stock III, but that pistol is not sold in the united states. Since EAA is the only US distributor of Tanfoglio based pistols we are stuck with whatever they feel is appropriate to bring into the US. Currently they do not want to bring in the Stock III because its a Small Frame pistol and all of their other pistols are based on the Large Frame design.

Thanks Cha-Lee, that is exactly the info I was looking for. Can you install a EGW hammer and sear in a Limited Pro and still be USPSA legal? I think I've read the stock hammer and sear doesn't last.

You can put in an EGW Hammer and Sear and be USPSA Production legal. Unfortunately, I the EGW sear doesn't have the extra arm that disables the firing pin block. To get around that, you disable or remove the firing pin block. Disabling the firing pin block makes the gun illegal for USPSA Production.

The stock hammer and sear will last if you don't do a trigger job that breaks through the surface hardening.

Edited by Skydiver

You can put in an EGW Hammer and Sear and be USPSA Production legal. Unfortunately, I the EGW sear doesn't have the extra arm that disables the firing pin block. To get around that, you disable or remove the firing pin block. Disabling the firing pin block makes the gun illegal for USPSA Production.

The stock hammer and sear will last if you don't do a trigger job that breaks through the surface hardening.

My Shadow came from the factory with no FPB. All 1911 model 70's came wth no FPB and the current Colts now use a titanium firing pin to control this issue. Why bother with a FPB in your gun(unless needed for Comp use) at all? Rob at CZ-C says its easier to control the trigger pull weight without the FPB in my Shadow. So wouldn't i have a better trigger in My Match with out the FPB? Less moving parts in the ignition system? Smoother?

You can take out the FPB in the Match and not worry about making the gun illegal for USPSA Production since the Match isn't in the Production list anyway.

I should really bookmark that post from a couple of years ago. Somebody did an analysis of the design of the FPB in the Tanfoglio guns, and it is essentially useless. (I think the author was Nealio, but I'm punch drunk now because I should have gone to sleep a couple of hours ago instead of fighting with my reloading press.)

it is useless...it just barely works...and sometimes it gets stuck. I had a few of what I thought were "light strikes". Turns out they were not even strikes as the FPB got stuck in the up position due to rough design, tooling marks and dirt. The trick to using it is to make sure it is smooth so it comes down out of the path of the firing pin. Also, make sure it does not drag onthe firing pin, as that is what keeps it in place. I recall about 4 years ago reading that one should polish the firing pin and fpb. Now, I know why. Include cleaning the channel as part of your maintenance.

IN 2010, I had a local shooter using a limited custom .40 at a big match. He was having odd strikes..and thought it was light strikes. Turns out the firing pin block was doing its job overzealously. IT was not moving down when it should. I removed it...as I could see where the firing pin was smashing the hell out of it. He shot the rest of the match without any issues.

FOr practice, dryfire, etc...use the Henning or EGW firing pin. FOr matches, just chuck the OEM parts back in. Always test fire with the firing pin and Block to make sure you have not gone too light on the hammer spring. IN USPSA and IPSC, you can use a lighter hammer spring (as it is now listed from the OEM as a factory option)

Edited by Mo Hepworth

You can take out the FPB in the Match and not worry about making the gun illegal for USPSA Production since the Match isn't in the Production list anyway.

I should really bookmark that post from a couple of years ago. Somebody did an analysis of the design of the FPB in the Tanfoglio guns, and it is essentially useless. (I think the author was Nealio, but I'm punch drunk now because I should have gone to sleep a couple of hours ago instead of fighting with my reloading press.)

it is useless...it just barely works...and sometimes it gets stuck. I had a few of what I thought were "light strikes". Turns out they were not even strikes as the FPB got stuck in the up position due to rough design, tooling marks and dirt. The trick to using it is to make sure it is smooth so it comes down out of the path of the firing pin. Also, make sure it does not drag onthe firing pin, as that is what keeps it in place. I recall about 4 years ago reading that one should polish the firing pin and fpb. Now, I know why. Include cleaning the channel as part of your maintenance.

IN 2010, I had a local shooter using a limited custom .40 at a big match. He was having odd strikes..and thought it was light strikes. Turns out the firing pin block was doing its job overzealously. IT was not moving down when it should. I removed it...as I could see where the firing pin was smashing the hell out of it. He shot the rest of the match without any issues.

FOr practice, dryfire, etc...use the Henning or EGW firing pin. FOr matches, just chuck the OEM parts back in. Always test fire with the firing pin and Block to make sure you have not gone too light on the hammer spring. IN USPSA and IPSC, you can use a lighter hammer spring (as it is now listed from the OEM as a factory option)

The Shadow gotten along all these years without one. I've got a Matchframe/Limited upper build headed to the Smiths bench, i'll just have it removed and reworked without it.

I've made a guy an offer on a Sphinx AT2000S 40S&W 4.53" barrel, I assume the Sphinx has a FPB also? This gun is a SA/DA model with no decocker. Trigger pull weight from the factory at: DA--8.16lb SA--3.75lb.

Maybe one of our Trigger guys will be able to work on the Sphinx. You could have ordered this pistol new with their optional SAO. I Wonder if a CZ or Tangfolio SAO trigger could be fitted?