Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 4: Episode 6 (20 Mar 2012)

What is the traditional round that is fired out of a bag gun made out of? Lead, Iron, jacketed lead? Was aluminum common?

While I can't speak for the rounds fired out of the bag gun, the rounds we shot out of the 155mm Howitzer were 200 lbs. of steel & TNT. For those who do not know, 1 lb. = 7,000 gr. So 200 lbs. = 1,400,000 gr. :surprise: BOOM BABY! :rolleyes:

So, you were shooting a lot of minor? Those guns production legal? I mean they're only throwing out ~ 9000 147 grain heads..... :D :D

If you're interested in history, you're on the wrong channel.... er... wait... :roflol:

Good one, Griz.

Now, old-school History Channel Top Shot would go something like this: "Today we'll be shooting the Karabiner 98 Kurz, the weapon of choice of Hitler's Wehrmacht."

I'm surprised today's History Channel Top Shot doesn't go more like this: "Today we'll be shooting the Colt 1911 in .45 ACP. Some say John Browning's design was so far ahead of it's time that it could only have been devised using alien technology from a UFO crash near Ogden, Utah."

Me, I don't know artillery, but mebbe a light aluminum shell with a light powder charge might be easier on an old piece (they did say it was an original, didn't they? [only caught part of the broadcast])- less risk of catastrophic failure?

Maybe they preferred the "snap" of a lighter projectile over the "push" of a heavier one.

Many shooters do, you know!

roflol.gif

Yep. It is all about transition speed. :roflol:

I actually liked the atlatl part. I think I want to make one for myself. The cannon part was cool! I think I would go on a show like this just to shoot one of those things. (but, it would have been cooler if they had had some type of breakage target, like a big concrete wall or something.

Wow, Tim really got thunderstomped in the battle of the atlatl! Good demonstration of why not to get emotional/hysterical/take things personally etc. I've seen guys at matches do that and their whole day is ruined, they usually don't recover until the last stage if at all.

IT/IS people don't just earn a lot of money "because they're IT", it's almost always because of their strong mental abilities and skills. When I saw Chris slow down, take a breath and become focused I could almost see that bullseye at 60 feet that sealed the deal. What'd he say? Penguin in an ice house? Cold as ice, baby.

Edited by ChristianHE

while it was never said, I assumed that there was some par time that they were working against .... else why would they hustle.

IIRC, this was done in seasons past and caleb's interviews brought that info out (the concept that there were rules they played by that weren't announced on TV). I've got no problem with that ... I'd hate for the show to get wrapped up in rules discussions. It would be cool to see it published on the shows page ... I haven't bothered to look and see if it was tho.

Not sure if it'll be this season, but I'd bet that they'll have to work a trebuchet at some future point. They are getting wrapped up on the novelty of some weapons, IMO. But I'd guess this show should be named "most accurate and flexible shot"?