Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

side to side trigger wobble....

shot my match 45 for the first time today....and seems like it's a shooter.

I was cleaning it a few min ago..and noticed that the trigger roll pin has moved over some....and now that i'm looking at it closer, the trigger wobbles back and forth QUITE a bit. With the gun field stripped, i can see a good 1/32" or more on each side of the trigger ears......does anyone ever put a spacer or small washer in place to remove this slack?

Yes some people put this washers there. This is particularly important if you your trigger wobbles that much and you regularly holster your gun. I believe that Henning managed to shoot himself due to that trigger wobble and is one of the reasons why he developed his flat trigger system with tighter tolerances for the trigger pin.

Most of the wobble is due to the excessively large trigger pin hole diameter verses the roll pin that goes through it. Henning sells an upgraded trigger pin which is a Screw & Nut setup. The outer diameter of this trigger pin is a little larger than the factory roll pin and it will take up some of the left to right slop. The true fix to this issue would be to weld up the existing trigger pin holes then drill them back out to the proper diameter. But you would spend more money doing that verses getting the flat trigger kit where the trigger pin hole is already setup in the right diameter and width.

Edited by CHA-LEE

the flat trigger MIGHT make it's way into this gun...but i'm really not sure.

but for as for the slop...i agree it's the trigger hole...but if i take some stainless washers and polish them with flitz...it'll limit what side to side motion there is...at least enough to make it acceptable to me, i'd think.

digging i've found the pin diameter is 0.0990"...i THINK that was in reference to the Henning pin...but, i'm not sure and don't have my gun here with me to measure. I do, though, have a large warehouse of hardware I'm going to pick and choose from and try to make something work, though.

Have you removed/replaced the trigger from the frame yet? Getting loose washers in between the side of the trigger lever and frame will be extremely difficult since you are battling the trigger return spring when you reinstall the trigger lever. Most people have a very hard time getting the stock trigger lever back in by its self, much less trying to get loose shims in between the parts. The only way that I would even attempt it would be to glue the shims to the side of the trigger lever so they at least stay in place and aligned when I am wrestling the trigger into place and alignment with the hole in the frame.

I agree with CHA-LEE about the challenge of re-installing a trigger with shims in place.

I didn't resort to glue, but there was a point in time I was very tempted. I used a dab of SlideGlide to make the shim "stick" to the inside of the frame of my Stock II. I think any grease would have worked as well. After getting the trigger into the slot, I used an X-acto knife and dental picks to push the shims around for some fine tuning before the roll pin went back in.

Henning's trick of using part of the brake cleaner plastic applicator straw is essential to minimize futzing with the trigger return spring.

Edited by Skydiver

For a while I was going down a couple paths to try and solve the stock trigger issues. I don't like the flat trigger, so I had no interest in buying that to solve the issues.

I was going to find a reamer and pin combo that would be slightly larger than the Henning pin, then ream the frame and trigger to accept the new pin.

Or I wanted to find a reamer the size of the Henning pin, then weld up the holes in the trigger, and ream them out.

I was looking for a fractional reamer that was the right size, but none exists. However I just learned you can get decimal reamers and I can probably find one that would work.

I may get back on this project here soon.

I detail stripped the gun last night....i'm taking it next weekend to get the frame coated...and yeah, the spring wasn't the most fun i've had lol. It's doable though, there's MUCH MUCH worse things i've worked on, though lol

I have some 0.0400" washer's i'm going to try tonight...i'm afraid I'll have to get something even samller though...as they hole on them is 0.1300"....so we'll see how thy work

well.....I my washers were too thick...i even took a small file to them and tried to shave them down as best i could, but even when I was getting close to the right thickness, the sheer diameter of them was making it a no-go..... I guess i'll just have to live with the wobble :-/

i tried searching and reading as much as i could...but the search function on this forum setup isn't the strongest.

i've contemplated just putting a henning threaded pin in the gun, since i'm ordering an XL firing pin, hammer spring, and front sight tomorrow (payday...so i can hide the purchase from the g/f lol)

i tried searching and reading as much as i could...but the search function on this forum setup isn't the strongest.

i've contemplated just putting a henning threaded pin in the gun, since i'm ordering an XL firing pin, hammer spring, and front sight tomorrow (payday...so i can hide the purchase from the g/f lol)

I run the bolt style pin in all my guns. I've had the roll pin walk out a few times (and so have a lot of other people), so the first thing I do to a new pistol is put in the XL firing pin and the bolt style trigger pin.

I run the bolt style pin in all my guns. I've had the roll pin walk out a few times (and so have a lot of other people), so the first thing I do to a new pistol is put in the XL firing pin and the bolt style trigger pin.

Hopefully except in a Stock II and then proceed to shoot the gun in USPSA Production. wink.gif

Hopefully except in a Stock II and then proceed to shoot the gun in USPSA Production. wink.gif

Production? What fun is that??? ;)

With a cheater gun like a Stock II, Production can be tons of fun. I've always viewed it as getting to shoot a Limited gun in Production. :lol:

Edited by Skydiver