Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated Loads 165 for a 40 in a 6in.

a matt

when I first got my 6" gun I played with some Rainier 165 grain RNFP plated bullets. Rem. 1x fired case, SR primer, 5.2 grains of Solo 1000, 1.180 oal got me about 170 pf. load felt real soft and the muzzle hardly moved. 5.4 grains of Solo got me about 174 pf. My six inch gun is super light with a heavily lightened slide; the "fat free" Cameron's treatment. I really like how the 165 grain loads feel overall. worked up a load for major matches; 5.4 grains of N320 with a Zero 165 gr. jhp. load is accurate and SOFT. PF is about 170 or so. will chrono in the morning to confirm.

I'm sure you've read other posts about plated bullets. they were accurate enough for me but I got inconsistent velocities. also some of the bullets would shed their plating and spray this light gray stuff on the target. other shooters knew right away that I was using plated bullets. Unless I can get plated bullets at moly prices I wont be buying them again.

If I recall 5.2 grains of N320 and the Rainier 165 RNFP plated got me about 166-168 pf. The Rainier's seemed to be a little slow for plated stuff. I would start at 5.0 grains of 320 and work up from there. 5.4 grains of N320 and a 165 grain Zero jhp got me 172.7 pf at sea level this morning. SD of 6 and ES of 17. If you're trying to get above 170pf for major, 5.3-5.4 should do it.

I'm one of those who has all but given up on plated bullets. When you try to run them at jacketed speeds it can be hit or miss, lot to lot whether they will hold the rifling. Going to the lighter bullet will require more velocity for pf. Not the direction I would go with plated.

Unless you have a fast bbl., you're probably going to need 5.5 of 320 to make 170pf, assuming you're loading to 1.2". If you load to standard, .40 length, 5.1 should get you close. :cheers: