Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Range Silhouette Shooters

parisite

Is there a forum here for silhouette shooters. I've never done it formally but I have long range handguns and I try to stay in practice.

I have a Thompson Contender 14" handgun and a Freedom Arms 44 Mag 10" barrel.

I haven't really started with the handguns yet, but have shot most of the rifle disciplines. A lot of fun and can be REALLY humbling, especially on the High power events. It has also helped me become a better judge of distances. Here is a link for the Pistol Silhouette Rules. The Freedom Arms will work well for the Hunter Pistol, I am not positive about the barrel length on the contender. I just picked up one myself and am starting to get into that side along with the USPSA, Multi-gun and Cowboy Action.

IHMSA was the first organized shooting sport I got involved in. Then IDPA,USPSA, Steel Challenge,etc. Ended up with too many irons in the fire. Settled on USPSA/Steel.

IHMSA was fun and challenging. Here in Georgia there is only one Big Bore Club in the state, and just a couple more that shoot small bore and field pistol. In some places IHMSA is struggling to stay active.

If you have a shooting partner you can pair up with , it will make Silhouette

a lot more fun and productive as you can take turns spotting for each other. Without a spotter it can sometimes be a little frustrating.

I have been shooting IHMSA off and on since I was a kid with my dad. great times and people! The internationals are in my hometown for the first time and we are all excited!

When and where is that?

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth I think there is a for sale listing on RimfireCentral.com for someone selling a Browning Buckmark Silhouette Ultimate. The 14" barreled Ultimates don't come up often. My home club has a monthly shorter range silhouette match called Critters which is .22LR rifle or pistol free standing only (Juniors can use sand bags). No adult in the history of the club (Mid-1950's) has ever managed to knock all 40 off in a single run of all 4 stages. Surprised me when I found that out so I started shooting it and my best is only 38 after a couple of years. Could easily do it with any kind of support or bracing, but not allowed.

Edited by photoracer