Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

metal rimmed shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses?

cpa5oh

I want to get a pair of metal rimmed/framed shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses (obviously to use in different lighting conditions.) I see the Decot glasses and I'll buy them if there are no other options...price is kinda high, so figured I'd ask about similar options before ordering.

A friend and I have been using Decot's for a long time. Last month my friend took a ricochet to the lens, while shooting Steel Challenge and it shattered into a lot of small, sharp fragments. He was concerned about the danger of the very sharp glass shards, so he called Decot. Their reply was the lenses are "impact resistant, not impact proof".

Thanks for the responses, guys. The Randolph Rangers are about 155 with three lenses...that's cheaper than I'd have gotten the Decots for...so unless anyone else chimes in, that's the direction I'll go.

Okay, I'll chime in.....the Decots and Rangers don't offer any side protection. It's okay for trap/sporting clays, but I didn't feel really comfortable unless I wore side shields/blinders.

Since I gave you something else to consider, I would suggest, if you get the interchangeable wraparounds, get ones with the 2 piece lenses. The attachment point for the one piece lens is in the middle. That requires a notch which creates a stress point in the lens. I've had 3 sets of lenses crack right at that spot. I solved the problem by getting extra frames so I don't have to take the lenses out. If I remember correctly, the frames are about the same prices as the lens. BTW, I use the prescription insert.

I've been using the Decot Hy-Wyd glasses since 2007. I'm on my third set of prescription lenses. They are comfortable to wear all day, the lenses are quite large and I've never been uncomfortable because they don't wrap around. It's a terrific product.

Since I gave you something else to consider, I would suggest, if you get the interchangeable wraparounds, get ones with the 2 piece lenses. The attachment point for the one piece lens is in the middle. That requires a notch which creates a stress point in the lens. I've had 3 sets of lenses crack right at that spot. I solved the problem by getting extra frames so I don't have to take the lenses out. If I remember correctly, the frames are about the same prices as the lens. BTW, I use the prescription insert.

While I agree with this (and have stress cracked about 5 M-Frame lenses to prove it), I have found that I much prefer a one-piece wraparound to two pieces. It's not as big a deal in pistol shooting, but in rifle or shotgun I think it matters more. The two-piece lenses require an attachment point in the middle that can block your field of view when your head is tilted forward, such as mounting a rifle or shotgun. It's not much, but it distracted the heck out of me until I switched to M Frames. I like the fact that with my M Frames my field of view is about as unblocked as it gets.