Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LEFTY SHOTGUN ADVANTAGE FOR RIGHTY?

GIBB

AM SEARCHING FOR A NICE USED GUN IN MY AREA FOR 3 GUN LOCAL MATCHES. IN MY SEARCHES I CAME ACROSS A NICE REM 1100 LEFTY PASSED ON IT BECAUSE IT WAS LEFTY. RECENTLY WATCHED SEVERAL FIRE BIRD 1919 VIDEOS, APPEARS CHARGING HANDLE IS ON LEFT, QUICK FORUM SEARCH HERE REVEALED SEVERAL OPIONS THAT LEFTY SHOOTERS WOULD BENIFIT FROM SHOOTING A RIGHTY GUN. SO I AM LOOKING FOR OPINIONS AS TO A QUALITY LEFTY GUN FOR A RIGHTY SHOOTER??? I REALIZE THAT EJECTION PORT FACING MY FACE IS INHERENTLY LESS SAFE ALSO.

Am searching for a nice used gun in my area for 3 gun local matches. In my searches i came across a nice rem 1100 lefty passed on it because it was lefty. Recently watched several fire bird 1919 videos, appears charging handle is on left, quick forum search here revealed several opions that lefty shooters would benifit from shooting a righty gun. So i am looking for opinions as to a quality lefty gun for a righty shooter??? I realize that ejection port facing my face is inherently less safe also.

Fixed

Personal experience, one of the people I shoot with purposely bought a Left-handed M2 on the belief that it would be faster.. Maybe its faster without practice.. It didn't eject shells into his face but just like everything else thats to the Left, its wrong :roflol:

I shoot left handed and have a right hand M2. I should also mention I am right handed but left eye dominant.

I have shot a lot of right hand guns over the years and have never had an issue with shells in the face or even seeing the ejected cartriges. I have a lefty Super Black Eagle and a lefty A-bolt and find operating them awkward. It may be lack of practice as I spent my whole youth shooting right handed guns.

The bottom line for me is after purchasing a few lefty models I much prefer right handed guns(semi-auto). Dont be afraid to try it. :cheers:

This weekend I shot with a righty using a lefty M2... before that I had never thought of it. They still have the bolt release on the right side of the gun, so now you have the ejection port on the opposite side of the gun from the bolt release. Not sure if that is an advantage.

Personnally, I've shot other lefty shotguns from the right shoulder. The shells ejected low enough that they were below my field of view.

I shoot left handed and have a right hand M2. I should also mention I am right handed but left eye dominant.

I have shot a lot of right hand guns over the years and have never had an issue with shells in the face or even seeing the ejected cartriges. I have a lefty Super Black Eagle and a lefty A-bolt and find operating them awkward. It may be lack of practice as I spent my whole youth shooting right handed guns.

The bottom line for me is after purchasing a few lefty models I much prefer right handed guns(semi-auto). Dont be afraid to try it. :cheers:

I'm in the same boat. I LOVE right-handed long arms.

The advantage of a lefty shooting a right handed gun is when you get the dreaded slide lock. You can toss a shell in weak handed hit the bolt release button and you are good to go without hardly missing a beat. If the bolt release still on the right side of a left handed gun I don't see much of an advantage to a righty using a left handed gun. If the bolt release is on the left side of the gun then that would work well for a righty. I have had no problems with the shells ejecting in front of my face it happens so fast that I don't even notice it.