Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat High-Ride Ambi Safety

DaveDark

Does anybody have experience installing a Wilson Combat High-Ride Ambi Thumb Safety on a Kimber custom (not ambi from the factory)? Was there a lot of fitting required? Or did it drop in fairly easily? I don't mind working on my guns, but the safety on a 1911 has to function 100%.

Safetys are not drop in. They must be fitted to the sear. Sometimes additional work is also required.

There are a few instructional vids on the net. Search them out and see if you can handle the job.

I watched a few Youtube videos on it and it doesn't look overly complicated. I doubt my gunsmith would charge too much, but its a pain in the ass getting a transport permit to bring it there (Canada). I'll probably just bring it to him and not have to worry about screwing it up. Thanks for your input.

Although there is some gunsmithing required the Wilson highride is the easier to install than the others I've tried. Especially on a 2011 they are already contoured around the though pin that saves some time and end results looks better IMO.

I've fitted two of them, one on my son's Kimber Custom Classic Target, and one on my Kimber GM II. I've never done one before, but if you take your time, and go slowly, it isnt difficult.

Thanks Greg.

I've fitted two of them, one on my son's Kimber Custom Classic Target, and one on my Kimber GM II. I've never done one before, but if you take your time, and go slowly, it isnt difficult.