Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some help match video

Mat Price

I noticed once or twice that when you were moving to a shooting location, you waited until you got to the shooting location, then brought up your gun. It should be up and ready to shoot when breaking the corner of the wall.

just my 2 cents worth.

You need to work on using a wider stance. This will allow you to bend your knees to lean around walls instead of going straight legged and bending sideways at the waist. Any time you bend sideways at the waist to lean around things it totally kills your ability to exit the shooting position aggressively. Using a wider stance will allow you to keep your center of gravity between your feet from a left to right perspective. Any time your center of gravity is between your feet you will be able to move more aggressively. Using a lower and wider stance also allows you to move left to right quite a bit before you have to lift a foot. This allows you to have upper body movement through a shooting position without moving your feet, where otherwise you would have to shuffle your feet around. Any time you lift up a foot or put it down keeps you from shooting quickly and accurately.

Hey, Matt!

A trio of observations...

1) You shoot amazingly fast, are obviously calling your shots well (super-speedy make ups), and transition between most targets in an array at lightning speed. You are losing the vast majority of your time in your movements. Setting up and exiting from hard leans like Cha said, as well as moving from one array to another. In the more open courses, you don't seem to suffer; it's the tight confines that seem to be giving you fits. That's just a matter of foot work, and probably calls for some more attention during your walk throughs.

2) A tiny drop in the speed of your shooting would probably see you to more points. The top GMs (two of which have told me directly) have to shoot ~95% of the available points in order to win, and the concept obviously transfers to all levels. This is maximized in Open, where shooting a dot gun with Major scoring really makes it easy for your competition to whittle away your score with the points. If you go back and look, I'll bet the people who are beating you have shot at a minimum 90% of the available points, to your 80-85%.

3) You can never do anything to make up/pick up Match Points on your competition. Instead, it's all about minimizing the time/hits that you give up. The implications of this type of thinking are numerous, at least for me. Perhaps most importantly, it will keep you from pushing too hard and making even more mistakes-- especially after something has gone wrong and you suddenly feel the need to "catch up". Once the bumble/mistake/extra shot is over, it's over-- keep shooting your best game and wait for your opponents to make mistakes of their own, that you might capitalize on them. Simply put, and to call upon an old adage-- "time lost can never be regained". Just be sure you're letting your opponents give you time back as well, by staying consistent in your performance.

Thanks you are 100% correct Bo are you shooting poplervil tomorrow? . Cha I used your advice today about widening my stance it made shooting around walls so much better!!!

I tried to incorporate what you guys where saying. check this video particularly the first stage. Notice how I step/pivot into a wide stance to shoot around the wall. Worked great!

Edited by Mat Price

You're actually shooting amazingly well, especially for a B class shooter. You're very fast. As a shooter, you are kind of at a cross road. You've just about maxed out how fast you can run the gun. More points will be a byproduct of more trigger time. Don't work on shooting any faster. You're already there. Now concentrate on improving points.

That being said. Your shooting style doesn't match your physical frame. Believe it or not, big guys can pull down really good times too. You have to learn to use your physical size to your advantage. Charlie is right that you need to lower your CG with bent knees and a wider stance, but you also need to learn how to minimize the impact of starting and stopping motion. Small twitchy guys can slam into a location, mow down targets fast and then explode out of location. Big guys can't because it simply takes too long to accelerate and decelerate. Once stopped, you have to wait for the moving mass to catch up and settle. Notice how when you stop in a location, you have a small pause waiting for the sight to settle. Learn how to move more fluidly and how to be in the right place to shoot each target as it presents itself. Be stingy with foot steps and extra stingy with stops and sudden changes in direction. Learn how to use your weight to steady up your shooting platform. Being a big guy has it's challenges, but it also has it's advantages. You may not be able to move as quickly as a small guy, but you can move much more smoothly. Look at Rob Leatham. Dude's huge. He's almost boring to watch because he is so smooth and fluid. He doesn't waste any motion and he hits everything he aims at. He doesn't shoot all that fast either, but he pulls down incredible hit factors. Why? Because he's smooth, efficient and doesn't miss.

Thanks you Co, I think you guys are all right. I started my diet again this week lol. I had knee surgery last year and put on about 60 lbs that i need to get back off. but i still wont be sin-ster twitchy. That dude is like a wet cat he beat my but on long runs this weekend.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Sin-ster holla at me this week bro lets get in some workouts!

Thanks you Co, I think you guys are all right. I started my diet again this week lol. I had knee surgery last year and put on about 60 lbs that i need to get back off. but i still wont be sin-ster twitchy. That dude is like a wet cat he beat my but on long runs this weekend.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Sin-ster holla at me this week bro lets get in some workouts!

Looks like the only day I'll be able to get out is Wednesday, when you said you had to work. :angry2:

Watching my own videos, I still feel like I'm moving in slow motion. Getting into positions is getting better; getting out is pretty good. It's the time in between that's killing me-- it's like I'm worried about running with a gun in my hand or something!

I think it's an odd mental block that we both share. Obviously over the long distances, it's going to be difficult for you-- especially with the knee. But even on the short stuff, we both seem to be taking our time in covering the ground. I'll probably spend the next 3 months moving from point A to point B in my regular life as quickly as possible.

I can already imagine the looks I'm going to get... :roflol:

Watching my own videos, I still feel like I'm moving in slow motion. Getting into positions is getting better; getting out is pretty good. It's the time in between that's killing me-- it's like I'm worried about running with a gun in my hand or something!

I think it's an odd mental block that we both share. Obviously over the long distances, it's going to be difficult for you-- especially with the knee. But even on the short stuff, we both seem to be taking our time in covering the ground. I'll probably spend the next 3 months moving from point A to point B in my regular life as quickly as possible.

I can already imagine the looks I'm going to get... :roflol:

Yeah that sucks man! I got overtime training wends. I definitely had issues for a long time running with a gun, its doing the exact opposite of what your mom always told you. hell with scissors we have a gun lol. I think i have gotten over it now but I just need to move more like co said. I am never going to have the blazing speed you small guys do. You on the other hand need to move your but. I think thats all you need to do is just go faster between positions. I am starting Phase 2 of mikes book this week and has drills on exactly what i need to work on.

Yeah, I get moving quickly, get into the position and start shooting quickly... and basically "lope" between positions.

Just started working on that in my past Friday's practice session, so hopefully it'll become second nature sooner rather than later.

Especially since I'm basically "twitching" around the house, grocery store, washer and dryer, etc. already. :roflol:

So here's a drill for you (and for anyone else too). Run your videos again. This time however, close your eyes. Don't listen to the blistering fast shooting. Listen for the pauses. Some are big and some are small. Think back and imagine yourself going through the periods of quiet. It will be easy because you have them on helmet cam.

Once you understand the silence and what you were doing during the silent periods, start thinking about what you can do to make them go away. Some times it means running faster, drawing faster and reloading faster. Usually it means more efficient course break down, smooth and efficient movement and being exactly where and when you need to be to keep the gun running. You will never make the pauses go away completely. The competitors with the highest scores are the ones who shoot really well, but the ones with the best times are the ones who have figured out the most efficient way to manage the silence.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Major improvement in fluidity and execution of foot work. You look way lighter on your feet too.

As a continuation of the learning curve, start looking for opportunities to shave time in how you execute the course of fire. In the first drill you could pick up a small amount of time in how you engage the targets. For instance: When you draw and move to the left side, you know you have to go far enough around to shoot the inside target, so that becomes your target stance. Rather than setting up on the outside target and then adjusting your stance to then shoot the inside, just go straight to the position for shooting the inside target. If you do that, you can then use the outside target as a filler by shooting it as you are coming into your single shooting position. Same with the right hand side. Just go straight to the position which will allow you to shoot the inside target but cap the outside as you are going into and settling on that one shooting position. You'll shave at least 1 sec off the drill. You're moving much better. With your size smoothness is your friend (I'm a big guy too). Since it takes time to get into position and settle, look for opportunities to shoot targets during the deceleration and acceleration. It's tough to find time when you are moving from one side to another and only shooting one target. Likewise, if a course of fire at a match is one which forces you to go to a spot shoot and the move to another spot and shoot, you will always struggle to keep up with twitchy smaller guys. If you have courses where you can float through shooting zones, then you can use your size to create a stable, smooth, shooting platform which never really stops moving. This works to your advantage in a match because the longer field courses usually offer more opportunity for shooting in motion and that's where the match points are usually hidden. That's why traditionally speaking (and certainly not all inclusive), big guys tend to do slightly better at larger field courses while smaller twitchy guys tend to have the advantage on speed courses. It works in your favor because there are more points to be had in the large field courses.

Thanks co, The multi port drill that i was doing is part of Mike seeklanders competition handgun training program and it is prescribed in that order to force those positions. If I came across a COF set up like that i would def. hit the inner target first and grab the outer on the sweep to transition. The second drill is to teach you to use stop points and stage markers.

A few things I noticed and put in my notes for next time. I can actually begin my shift of lateral direction as I am pulling the shot in that low stance I just have to put it in my mind so to it all at once. See dot pull trigger begin shift call shot commit to movement. There are a couple of instances were i see i am somewhat pivoting on my lead foot which tells me I am still shifting my weight late. I need to shift my weight and go. I should not have to repostion my foot then shift my weight and go. I need to be quicker in picking up the sight at my stop marker. I think with my dot gun though thats not an issue will have to see on my next session with that drill.

but all in all in only a week I think its coming along ok

I posted This in my other thread but i want to put it here also so you guys can see how I am progressing in my movement skills I think I picked up on everything anything yall are seeing in my movements that I missed. The real test will be this weekend Got the jackson MS match sunday!!!!

Clip 1:
Cm 99-16
This is a GREAT Phase two Sesion A quiz It incorporates all the elements in session A
= Draw looked great moved and drew and was on target quick
- transition from hard cover to no shoot targets was great ( accel / decel drill)
- MAg change was slow and sloppy, get it up and be done moving to left side of barricade
-leaning to get that inside steel bending at wiast great!!! ( multi port drill)

Drill: long move into Position
First run:
- goo into box one
- not a great stance should be more wide and low
- be sure to begin shifting weight on the last shot fired
-good keeping the gun up be better entering the box smoother lower again shift weight sooner
reenter left box try to enter on right foot and distubute weight even weird funky one leg stance.

Second run:
Better in the right box
be faster out the first box
again get lower
stop that funky one leg stance on reenter into left box

third run:
Very good out the box
had gun up into first box
good to right box
still entering left box weird

Fourth run:
much smoother better hits
taking to much time in the boxs hit and move
shift weight in and out
STOP reentering the left box so goofy

overall get lower and wider
be more explosive out of the first box.
Shoot faster I can be faster on the trigger.

Drill One shot X drill:
not much to say about any of these clips
They look good I am transitioning well
the one thing to be sure to lead with my eyes
draw is good

Bill Drill
lol what can i say it was fun :) Edited by Mat Price

Looking good! You're draws are solid and your shooting is solid too. Lots of A hits is way gooder than lots of C hits.

Your fundamentals are good enough for you to begin departing from them. In that I mean... In your shoot n scoot drill, you do a very good job of stepping into the box smoothly and in most cases you plant with a very solid and traditional stance. You fire your A hits, and after your last shot, you distinctly turn and go. Each step in series, very neat and clean. Unfortunately, it takes too long for big guys like us. Instead, try stepping into the box and leave most of your weight on the outside foot. Shoot your first target and start leaning in to start your movement, while firing on the second target. With most of your weight on the outside food, you will be effectively shooting the second target while transitioning from stationary to motion. You should still be able to make your hits and you'll shave another 1/2 second off your time.

At this point you are really ready to begin shooting on the move. A variation on that drill is to go to the box, shoot the targets, then shoot them again while moving to the second box, then shoot them again when you get there. When you get to where you can shoot all A's on the move, then crowd the targets with some no shoots to make it even harder.

You're in a really cool spot as a shooter, because you shoot really well. Over the next season, you will be exploring and making tremendous progress in your motion and efficiency. You will know when you are successfull, because at the end of the learning curve you will not only be higher up the leader board at matches, but you will have a whole new understanding and perspective on your shooting.

Nice job on the bill drills. That is the one area I have never been able to do well. I just can't keep the rythm and simply encounter too much trigger freeze. I've started taking bricks and my 22 to the range. Burning hundreds of rounds trying to get it figured out. I'm a Master and my splits are way slower than yours. Keep it up and you'll be the guy to beat at your club in no time.

You are losing a lot of time in your box to box movement drill by not exploding out of the shooting position. You are crossing your feet as your first step out of the box which totally kills your ability to aggressively launch out of the position. Instead of crossing your feet simply pick up the foot in the direction you are going and use the back leg to launch into motion. For example, when you are in the left box and start moving to the right box you want to keep your left foot planted then lift your right foot as your first step and use your left leg to push off hard in order to launch aggressively into a run. Using this style of exiting positions will greatly improve your physical movement speed out of shooting positions.

A HUGE thing that many shooters forget to plan is how to not only enter a shooting position correctly but also how to most effectively exit the shooting position. Depending on the direction of your next shooting position this SHOULD dramatically change your stance and foot position in the current shooting position. Most shooters try to use the same "Stand and shoot" foot position and stance in every shooting position. This ends up wasting a lot of stage time because they can't effectively get into and out of the shooting position. You always need to think about the "Next" place you need to go from one shooting position to another as this will dictate the best stance and foot position for each shooting position.

Here is a good example. If I was shooting your box to box drill I would enter the box and quickly plant my outside foot and bias a lot of weight on that leg along with slightly compressing that leg. That way as soon as the shooting is done all I have to do is pick up the other foot and Push off hard with my compressed leg to exit the shooting position. Realistically given the short distance and limited quantity of targets I would probably not even get both feet into the box but instead only plant my outside foot in the box and shoot the two targets while on only on one foot as I compress that leg getting ready to spring out of the shooting position. This would allow me to shoot and stage my exit from the shooting position all in the same motion.

Edited by CHA-LEE

A HUGE thing that many shooters forget to plan is how to not only enter a shooting position correctly but also how to most effectively exit the shooting position. Depending on the direction of your next shooting position this SHOULD dramatically change your stance and foot position in the current shooting position. Most shooters try to use the same "Stand and shoot" foot position and stance in every shooting position. This ends up wasting a lot of stage time because they can't effectively get into and out of the shooting position. You always need to think about the "Next" place you need to go from one shooting position to another as this will dictate the best stance and foot position for each shooting position.

+1

Its like playing pool. Not only do you need to make the shot you are taking, you need to set yourself up for the next shot. Whether its movement or transitions, you need to be able to move efficiently and quickly. I used to go into a position and get a nice wide stable stance, but it wasn't a position I could get out of quickly. Now, I'm less stable, but more able to move. I have found that the stable stance wide foot position didn't really make a difference on accuracy, but it killed movement. When I come into a position, I like to keep one knee pointed neutral and one pointed in the direction I want to go.

The stuff we are talking about is kinda getting into more advanced techniques. You're ready to move to the next level and the engagement methods we've described are going to help you get there. Neither Charlie nor I would give this kind of detailed movement advice to someone still learning how to stand and shoot. You can run a trigger. Now it's time to transform you into a badass!

Starting to see some movement improvement. I think the best stage i had as far as movement goes is stage 4. I really want to get to the point where I move in and out of ports with out stopping. Right now I am still having issues being stable and moving

On Stage 4 You are still hoping into each shooting location, adding to your setup time. Plus with the wide stance, you can't move out explosively. When your stance is wide, you can only take a small weak step in the direction you want to go. If you keep your feet closer together, you will be able to move more aggressively and further on your first step.

Your splits are very fast, but your wide transitions are kinda slow, you seem to set up on the target, fire 2 fast shots, move the gun, set up, confirm you sight picture and fire 2 shots. You shoot good point, but your are loosing time on the long set up

Ok here is what I am seeing, we all know that seeing is the mistakes is the first step to fixing them! so I want to make sure I am seeing what I should be.

Stage 1.

-Should have moved faster to the gun.

-Could have loaded and run instead of loaded and kind of run

-my entry into the first shooting position was good I had the gun up on target as soon as it became available

-not sure why i reloaded for two shots mental error

-I should have broken the shot sooner on the fall out the fault line.

ok looking at the first person video I did loose a good second shooting the first target. I was already in postion to shoot it i should have shot it on approach and settled in to the second target.

need to be more aggressive between wide transitions.

Stage 2: which was actually my last stage and i was pretty spent in the whatever degree heat

- I was good off the line right on the buzzer and pretty explosive into the first shooting position

- insted of hoping and setting so wide in position 2 i should have slid over and floated in the postion hitting the left target first shifting my weight right to move to position 3

- same thing I should drive in two port 1 slow up and drive to position 2 and explode back up range

-got to take bigger strides in long open runs like that i am not using what little lg length i have to my full benefit.

Stage3:

HAd a good draw a little to cautious on the no shoot targets and hard cover should bend at the waist a little more. but not a bad run.reload looked good! was finished and on target before i transitioned to steel.

Stage 4

good explosive movement out of the box. should have slowed up just before entering the area B. this would have allowed me to to fire as soon as I entered the box and change position into second shooting area. I should have bolted into the next position and enter and exited while shooting. same for the rest of the positions. movement to the end was pretty good.

ok its late I will do the rest tomorrow! But i think I am seeing some good stuff so far which means I am well on my way to improving it!

Edited by Mat Price