Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 Blackout crimped primers

Cotys

Well shoot. I load thousands of 5.56 and have always used pre-swaged Lake City brass or bought reloads that had been swaged.

I have 250 LC brass that were reworked for 300 BLK, so no crimped primer problems. I ordered 100 Remington 300 Blackout brass. They are head stamped 300 ACC BLK and come pre-primed and sealed, actually a great deal. I also discovered they are crimped primers. I didn't want to spend $106 on a super swager for 100 brass. Is there a easy method to do a small batch?

I use an RCBS case prep center and possum hollow trimmer. I see they make a primer pocket uniformer that fits the case prep center. Anyone use one of these on crimped primers? I could put it in place of the primer pocket cleaner on the left. Or should I just bite the bullet and order a 600 super swager.

post-6342-0-04625300-1331305155_thumb.jp

post-6342-0-72454900-1331305591_thumb.jp

For 100 pieces of brass I would just get a hand operated cutter. I have the Hornady one and it was only a few bucks at a local shop. I chuck it up in a cordless drill. You could cut 100 crimps in a matter of minutes.

Doing it on the RCBS was OK. But it's kind of slow.

I eventually got the Dillon swager. The Dillon is definitely faster than the RCBS trim mate.

If you plan to reload for be a lifetime, I'd say bite the bullet and get the Dillon. Or maybe even wait for the RCBS swager to come out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319662/rcbs-bench-mounted-primer-pocket-swager

For 100 pieces of brass I would just get a hand operated cutter. I have the Hornady one and it was only a few bucks at a local shop. I chuck it up in a cordless drill. You could cut 100 crimps in a matter of minutes.

Same here! Hit the trigger and the crimp is gone.cheers.gif