Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 40. Any suggestions on how to enlarge front of grip

Babaganoosh

So the large backstrap fits my hands the best, but when it's installed it makes the front feel even smaller. I am 6'6" and have large hands. I need the front of the grip to be a little bigger. I need girth! Anyone have any ideas? My only idea is to put the medium backstrap back in and slip something over the grip so it would enlarge the grip consistently around instead of just enlarging the back. I've read about people using a bicycle tube. Anyone have any experience with that?

My other idea is one of the slip on overgrips. I have one on my XD but it has finger grooves. I like finger grooves but not for shooting USPSA and steel matches. It interferes with drawing quickly. Does anyone make a slip on without finger grooves?

Not sure if it matters but I'll be slapping a magwell on it soon.

I use that Lowe's outdoor step grip tape on the front of mine. It does not make it a lot bigger but it feels a lot bigger. Really locks my grip in there. It is now the only place I use grip tape. Cheap to try, 10 bucks buys 10 lifetime supply.

We'll I gave you advice already, but here's some more. Learn how to shoot guns that are too narrow, because you'll run into a lot of them, or buy one of the very few guns that will fit better. Dig up an old para with the squared front strap, or maybe try an XDM, it's pretty fat.

If you insist on messing with the M&P to make it bigger, I suggest getting busy with an x-acto knife and some grip tape. Get a couple layers of grip tape up front, then put a piece of inner tube over it. Legality for production is probably debatable to a point.

Edited by raz-0

We'll I gave you advice already, but here's some more. Learn how to shoot guns that are too narrow, because you'll run into a lot of them, or buy one of the very few guns that will fit better. Dig up an old para with the squared front strap, or maybe try an XDM, it's pretty fat.

If you insist on messing with the M&P to make it bigger, I suggest getting busy with an x-acto knife and some grip tape. Get a couple layers of grip tape up front, then put a piece of inner tube over it. Legality for production is probably debatable to a point.

I've been practicing jamming my hand up under the beavertail during the draw and not wrapping my fingers all the way around the grip in both dryfire and live fire. The hardest part is not wrapping the grip all the way. I'm getting it though. It certainly makes a difference because I don't draw my shots left as much. Great advice, not many people would see it like you did because most of the population has womens sized hands.

I have an XD in 45 and originally wanted the XDM in 40 but because of the 16 round mag it was a no go. I refuse to have it pinned. That left me m&p and Glock. The Glock just doesn't fit or feel right for me. Great gun otherwise. I will look into the Para at some point.

I HAVE to insist on messing with it because that's what I do. I'm a tinkerer by nature. Plus I am home from work by 1pm so I have a lot of time on my hands. The idle mind is the devils playground. On Sunday you can see the end result of this weeks tinkering. I've got some ideas but they can't be whipped up overnight. So something temporary it will be.

I've seen where people have altered the profile of an STI grip by using a mixture of epoxy and a texturizing material. It felt about like uniform size sand granules, but I'm not sure of that. It is quite permanent until it begins to chip away.

I don't think I can take a picture of it at this moment because it's wrapped up in inner tube, but I did come up with a temporary solution. I started adding some layers of masking tape to the front and the sides near the front. Then I cut some zip ties and used them on the front and sides to square it off. Then a little more tape to hold it in place, inner tube to hold it all together. I measured it with a cloth tape measure and it added a decent amount of girth to the entire grip which was a nice. It feels really nice in my hand so that's how it is going to stay for the moment. Another guy I know who has big hands held it and he liked how it felt in his hand too.

I'm going to think about the epoxy thing in the future. Not sure how well it will stick to the existing grip.