Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginners Class?

I'm going to sign up for a beginners USPSA class this weekend, but I'm not sure how welcome I'll be. I just bought a open gun and am ready to start competing but the gun only came with four mags so I just orderd mag pouches and a speed holster and some major ammo. I hope that they'll let me participate in this class as the next one will be next year and I am going to shoot as many matches as I can find this year regardless of this class. is there any helpful advice anyone out there would share with me I really don't want to miss out on this oppurtunity. :huh:

post-38515-0-75692800-1331182662_thumb.j

Shouldn't be a problem. Doesn't matter what gun you shoot but, some might say that Production would be a better place to start. If you equipment doesn't arrive in time someone might have some you can barrow. Shooters are like that! If your equipment does arrive I am sure someone will give you advise on how to set it up. If your ammo doesn't arrive and you can get factory, get some so you can shoot. PF will only matter in matches. Also, check around for a club/s that has practice night during the week. That is a very good place to learn.

Have fun and stay safe,

Richard

What he said. You should inform the class organizer of your situation.

If they know that some of your gear has been ordered but may not arrive in time, I'm sure they will try to find some gear that could be borrowed for the class. The picture was a little fuzzy, but it looked like a Caspian wide body. Let the oragnizer know what you have because some holsters and mag carriers are brand/model specific.

So what if you miss the "class", anyways? The best classroom is the typical, local, level I match. There, you will learn the most. A class is nice, but most folks don't have the luxury of a formal class prior to their first match. Our local club match is usually around 25% new match shooters every month.

The class I took helped me a lot so don't miss it if you can help it. Your post sounds like to have the gun and mags but not the holster, belt, mag pouches. You would most likely not get to participate in class without a holster. Mags can go in pockets in a pinch. Perhaps a local gun show or sports store has a generic holster that will get you by.

So what if you miss the "class", anyways? The best classroom is the typical, local, level I match. There, you will learn the most. A class is nice, but most folks don't have the luxury of a formal class prior to their first match. Our local club match is usually around 25% new match shooters every month.

Depending on club rules, sometimes a new shooter is not allowed to participate in a match unless they have completed a class or other safety orientation as a prerequisite. Some clubs are pretty strict about this, some are not.

Again, if I were the OP, I'd contact the class organizer to let them know that I might need some gear. If the order comes through in time, then the problem disappears.

I'm going to sign up for a beginners USPSA class this weekend, but I'm not sure how welcome I'll be. I just bought a open gun and am ready to start competing but the gun only came with four mags so I just orderd mag pouches and a speed holster and some major ammo. I hope that they'll let me participate in this class as the next one will be next year and I am going to shoot as many matches as I can find this year regardless of this class. is there any helpful advice anyone out there would share with me I really don't want to miss out on this oppurtunity. :huh:

I've never seen a club or members that wouldn't work out something for you.. Limited and Open use the same holster and pouches (normally).. you should be able to borrow something.

One thing for starting in Open... I'd double plug from the get-go..

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it. As far as starting in open, I'm cross dominate and ran into a smoking deal on what I believe is Nowlin built on a Caspian frame and slide so I couldn't pass it up and the red dot is a whole lot easier to find than irons. I've been shooting and competing my whole life I want to go to the class simply for the proceduralls. I emailed the person in charge of this class and they said we should be able to work something out. I did find some over the counter ammo and was thinking about modifying a old leather holster for the day, I'm not sure how the retention will be but I'll probably try it out. I'm glad to see that USPSA folks are on average just like most other shooters, being willing to help out the new guy.