Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 or CZ75B SA for IDPA?

So here's the scenario (and it's not theoretical, it's real!) : I can get either a CZ75B SA with 4 magazines, or a Gen 4 Glock 17 with 4 magazines for effectively free. I'll be using it exclusively for IDPA, either SSP or ESP, and not for carry, home-defense, or anything.

I've had CZs before, and liked them. No problem there. But, my new carry gun is a Glock 19 which I also am quite fond of. This leads to my dilemma - do I get the CZ, which I know I like and find interesting in ways that aren't just related to it going bang when I pull the trigger? Or do I get the Glock, which will be nice and easy to maintain, newer, and form skills and muscle memory which will directly translate to my carry gun?

I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible. so keep that in mind. Both will have equal costs for holsters and extra magazines, but sights will be more for the CZ (if I decide to replace them), and I might want to replace grips to - an upgrade the Glock doesn't have. I also will be shooting production in USPSA next season, hopefully, which would require me to flip the CZ for a DA/SA model.

Any input? Both pistols can certainly shoot better than me, but I'm also experienced enough (just not in competition) that picking the right pistol will help me hone my skills more efficiently.

Sounds like you enjoy the CZ more and you already have a Glock. Are you doing IDPA more for fun or more for "practice"? If fun, I'd get the CZ for the fun factor and shoot LTD in USPSA.

If practice, I'd get the G17.

Sounds like you enjoy the CZ more and you already have a Glock. Are you doing IDPA more for fun or more for "practice"? If fun, I'd get the CZ for the fun factor and shoot LTD in USPSA.

It's for fun, but the idea of having very similar carry and competition guns seemed decent.

I'd run the Glock. You already know the system and the feel. It is Production Division-legal out of the box.

I played with a CZ after the Nationals this year, just to try it. Its weight definitely dampened recoil and it was slightly easier to shoot because of the trigger going to single-action after the first shot. When shooting Freestyle, the DA pull didn't bother me, but right when I was considering switching, I ran one of my favorite drills and repeatedly trashed it. My "Draw, 2 shots Strong-Hand Only (or Weak-Hand Only)" drill was horrible. I shot it over and over and it didn't seem to be improving. I'm sure that I could work with it and get it good, but practice time is not a commodity that I possess right now....

I am not bashing the CZ; it just wasn't for me and my style.

Edited by Braxton1

As much as I despise Glocks and am a die-hard CZ fan, in the choices you've given, I'm going to have to say G17. Unless I'm buying a gun that's a killer deal, I try to never buy something that I know I'm going to have to sell in a short period of time (your flipping the SA for a DA/SA). Since getting a DA/SA now is off the table, I'd say get the Glock.

The unfortunate reality is that SA 9mm's in USPSA really don't have a place to be competitive. I could make the argument in Single Stack that a 9mm 1911 may be an asset on certain stages or matches. And you could shoot a 75 SA in Limited, but it's giving yourself a handicap before you even start.

If you can't get a DA/SA CZ75 now - G17.

I'm not a huge Glock fan but do own a Gen 3 G17 and shoot it now and then. Brother-in-law bought a Gen 4 and I have played with it as well. If you have already compared the Gen 3 and the Gen 4 and made your decision, ignore this. However if you haven't, take a look at a Gen 3. The stock trigger in the 4 is horrible, and I didn't get along with the gun at all compared to my Gen 3. Just my opinion, and a suggestion if you decide to go the Glock route.

I own a Gen 3 G17 and the CZ75B SA. I don't sell guns but if I was forced to choose I'd let the CZ go. My magazine reloads are faster with the G17. It's 9mm so I don't see the extra weight of the CZ being necessary for recoil control. The only drawback to the Glock line is the striker. Control the urge to make the trigger as light as possible. An excessively light striker spring can lead to light strikes on primers.

The size of your hands could help you decide. Larger hands fit the Glock. Smaller hands fit the CZ better.

It's for fun, but the idea of having very similar carry and competition guns seemed decent.

well, there you go, throw the glock away and get a P01 for carry and shoot the 75 in idpa. :devil: