Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL Powder Charge Variations

Went from a 650 to a LNL AP and have only loaded 50 or so rounds but I get a 2 tenth gr. variation using HS6, I don't recall ever having this problem with my 650 but I never checked it as often as I have the AP (checked every charge on about 40 rounds). Reason I'm checking it is I helped a friend set up his new AP and, using Clays, we were getting a 3 tenth variation. Any suggestions?

How much powder have you run through the measure? When mine was brand new it had a lot of variation. Then I took it apart and cleaned everything with zero tri. I also will wipe the inside out it out with a used drier sheet when I am changing powders. It helps kill the static. After the first trial it has worked great. Maybe a tenth variation but I chalk that up to a lot of different things and not just the measure. I don't recall having any issues the last time I used Clays. I have never used HS6.

Give the powder measure a good cleaning. Then next time you set your charge, make sure to use the locking nut. I used to get big variation and creep until I started using the locking nut. Now it is dead-on consistent for me. Good luck!

Which powder measure do you have installed? I am getting an LnL and I forgot to order the handgun specific insert...

What the hell kinda question is that?? Were you watching when I first set this up? Ok, after my limited experience with the AP I do have one tip, make sure you have the pistol rotor installed with the pistol insert. If you have the rifle rotor installed and use the pistol insert it will dump 16.339 pounds of powder all over your new press. We won't get into how I discovered this.... One advantage of doing that is you will have the opportunity to completely disassemble your shiny new press and figure out how it works :sick:

So, I did take the powder measure apart and clean it with brake cleaner and I'm using the micrometer insert which I don't think has a lock. And, I do have the baffle installed. This press has about 70 rounds total through it so it's still new, anybody else have a "break-in" period with their PM?

I forgot to add, I am using the micrometer insert on my press. After the initial run I took the measure off the press, filled it full and manually ran the whole hopper full of powder through it. That is a tip that lee includes in their plastic powder measures. I figured it wouldn't hurt. After that mine worked great.

I get variation from of about 0.4+ in either direction from where I want at best. I'm also using the micrometer for rifle. I don't have a baffle in mine, it's about 4 years old and didn't come with the baffle. Is the baffle something that can be retrofit?

Any other tips for better metering in this guy? This is killing me with my long range match loads. My LNL has about 100k rounds through it so brake in is not an issue.

Edited by Fried Chicken Blowout

I only get a variation of .1 either way if any. I'm surprised how consistent it is.

When I got mine there was a piece of metal that wasn't machined out correctly that caused a few issues, I'll post a pic when I get home. It was inside the powder measure.

Check to make sure the knurled knob on the side of the powder measure is tight. I forgot to tighten it once after having it apart and my drops were not consistent at all.

I get low, or unmeasurable deviation on my press with Titegroup, W231, and Solo 1000. Decent with Clays, .1 or less. And .1-.2 with Reloader 15 for 223. Even with H4350, it was usually within .2.

The press has to be solid. No shaking in the powder measure. The good cleaning helped mine when it was new. I use the Micrometer inserts also.

I dump powder in, and tap/shake the measure to settle it. Dial up the micrometer, run 5-10 throws, fine tune it and that's it.

I'm currently using titegroup in mine and have only ran about 50 or 60 rounds and it has been dead nuts on every time. I'm not using the micrometer insert but am using the pistol rotor and baffle. I cleaned it twice because the first cleaning wasnt good enough and I had powder sticking.

I believe the baffle can be ordered, it is just a bent piece of metal so that a consistent weight is on the rotor at all levels of powder. Call hornady, they might just send it to you.

On my LNL AP I had to clean, clean, and clean some more to get the powder measure throwing consistently. All the packing oil that's put on the inserts, and linkage, and rotor ect. find their way to the path of the powder. One good test is throw a charge then put your hand under that station and tap on the press and if any powder falls down then you have static and oil to get rid of.

Everything should be death valley dry and use the dryer sheet method to go over every piece of hardware that interacts with the powder.

...you have static...

...use the dryer sheet method...

This gave me an idea and I've never had any luck with the dryer sheet eliminating static so.....

I disassembled the powder measure and removed all the paint inside, that's some tough stuff, I had to use a Dremel and grind most of it out and then glass bead the little that was left. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and an air hose and after reassembly I set it back up. I only had time to load 8 rounds but every one was the same. I'll load more tomorrow and weigh each one for 30 or 40 rounds, hopefully that was the culprit.

I'll bet you got it now... Internal passages cleaned with acetone finally did it for me. Now it just throws super-consistent charges from round 1 to round 200. I also tumble about 15 charges into a zero'ed shell and weigh them to prove that the measure has "settled-down" from the filling process and powder-baffle.

After that it work GREAT / AWESOME!