Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend a low flash and more speed 9mm

Batou

It's hard to beat VV N320 for low flash signature but since it's a fast powder, might not be good for +P loadings. Power Pistol would probably be better to the load up. I'm not sure how N350 is for flash but it is well suited for faster speeds. Can someone comment on flash with N350?

blue dot would go off like a strobe light. What the OP is dealing with is an compromise. Generally the fastest powders produce the least flash but the slower powders produce the most velocity. Flash is caused by powder burning outside the muzzle. The slower the powder the more flash. Burn rate isnt exact just a general guide. But charts can show you extremes. I wouldnt use blue dot in a 9mm unless I was shooting the bullets in a carbine, which may be your use. Whats your barrel length ? Taking a quick look at online reloading manuals I see tight group probably being your best bet. Its cheap, reasonably clean, popular, works well and is a faster burning powder, but will still give you the velocity you want. manuals list around 4.1-4.4 grs, look around a bit for your specific bullets and pay attention to the listed over all length.

• 2 weeks later...

I load lots of defensive "simulation" loads to make sure they feed and fire ok in my gun. I do this in both .380 and 9mm using gold dot bullets. I load to the same lengths as my carry ammo and I can get to the same fps that speer publishes using WSF powder for 9mm and W231 for the .380. I run two magazines of these at most range sessions. I'd like to do more but those bullets aren't cheap. This isn't an exact match since the powders are certainly different and the cases are slight off but I'm looking more for reliable feeds at similar velocities/pressures.

Like others have stated though, I wouldn't ever carry these. Not because of reliability though. I have run over a thousand in both calibers through my guns without a single failure. I would definitely trust them to get the job done. I don't carry them because God only knows what a prosecutor would do with this info if I found myself before a grand jury in a self-defense shooting case.

I'd like to load +P 9mm so I can practice. first use a near max load Then I could slightly increase the load from there.

Batou, I'm sure you meant to mention that with hot

loads like that, you're using a chrono:)

If these rounds are for practice, not sure you

need low flash ?? And, I'd use less expensive

bullets for the practice rounds - same weight of course.

Good luck with the search - sounds interesting.

Jack