Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel and No Shoots

dajarrel

We shot our local monthly match today and had a great time with great stages. One of them had a Texas Star set up in front of two no shoots. (yes, we talked bad about the guy who set the stage up!!!!!) Anyway, when we were scoring my run on the stage, there was a hole in the no shoot that obviously wasn't made by a clean hit on the no-shoot but by a ricochet.

My question is, Does the hole count as a hit on a no shoot or is it not counted as splatter would be.

thanks in advance.

dj

Unless it can be determined that the hole was made by a bullet, or part of a bullet, and this is usually done by looking for a radius using an overlay, then it's spatter, and does not count. A ricochet should not count, because it basically bounced into the no-shoot.

Putting the no-shoots behind the star (or any steel for that matter) serves no purpose other than to screw the shooters, and it causes administrative (scoring) problems like the one you cite.

Troy

The no shoots were set about four feet behind the star. If you visualize the star with the top plate being #1 and moving clockwise, plates #2 and #4 were the plates that had the no-shoot behind.

Yesterday,out of the 16 shooters at the match, six of them got one of the no-shoots. One of them was a new shooter but the rest were those trying to shoot the star as it spun. By the way the stage itself was 18 pieces of steel scattered around with a paper target on the left end and a paper target on the right end. It was a great stage with the exception of the no-shoots that made you really slow down and shoot the star.

I really don't mind the no-shoots ( if I don't hit them :D ) But I just needed to know how to score a ricochet.

thanks for the replies.

dj