Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTK load for a 1/7 twist 8in AR Barrel

Pinkerton

Hi.

I'm looking for a load for 223 in a 8 inch barrel that is 1/7 twist. It has to fit in an AR mag so COAL has to be about 2.270. I am hoping to streach out the range. In my 16 inch 1/8 69 SMKHPBT work great over 25.6 Gr of Varget. That is where I plan to start.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

I am making the assumptions that a heavier bullet would give me better distance/ range. I think a faster burning powder would work better in a pistol length barrel. Does this combination cause problems?

Thank You,

Pinkerton OUT!

PS I had to shelve the 25acp with 32 in barrel project

actually the load that gives the best performance in a long tube will still be the best in the shorter tube. THE difference is gonna be in the blast. faster powders are gonna be doing less expanding after they leave the barrel than the slower ones.

if the gun were mine i would use h4198 and 55 grain bullets. bout 20 grains. an 8 inch 223 is gonna be about like a 22 magnum rifle. I dont think there is going to be a combination thats going to give you any good results compared to the amout of powder burnt. so i would use the lightest, cheapest ammo that will cycle the gun and save our ears, damn i bet that gun is loud. see if dave dawson will make a comp for that!!

One of my old .223's used to really like 25.5 grains of Varget behind a Hornady 68 grain match h.p., but, using mixed cases, I had some problems with the compressed load. Some of the cases were so full of powder that the bullets wouldn't stay where I wanted them to, no matter how much I tried to crimp them.

The upper has a silencer on it.

I'm just trying to make sure the bullet doesn't spall out of the barrel, not too much blast for the expansion chamber, and some kind of down range accuracy. It is more of a CQB but having the ability to do something at range would be nice.

Thanks,

Pinkerton OUT! :)