Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bomar sight

hovbuild

Yes. But not all in a year. The people I've know who have had this happen was seeing it about once a year.

I saw a Limited shooter a couple of years ago have his break in the middle of long course. He weathered through it by taking a shot, reaching up to flip the sight back down, take another shot, flip the sight back down... It was like watching somebody shoot a old single action revolver.

Edited by Skydiver

The reason they snap is that the hole for the screw is mistakenly drilled straight down into the slide. When the sight is elevated for for sighting in it is not parallel to the top of the slide but angled upward in the rear. This puts all of the pressure on a tiny spot on the back underside of the screw and tends to flex the screw until it eventually snaps. Take a look at yours when you install the new one and you'll see what I am saying. When the hole was drilled the front of the slide should have been elevated by putting a 1/8" drill bit under the slide where the rear of the slide recoil plug housing meets the bottom of the slide.. This will elevate the front of the slide and the hole will be drilled at an angle that will approximate the elevated sight.

Pat

I shoot about 10,000 PF 212-220 loads through this gun a year...I use it for pins so at 25' the sight is elevated all the way, hence the angle Pat is talking about...I was thinking of installing a "fixed" bomar cut sight and fudge with the front sight, since I use it at one distance only. In two+ years I totally destroyed one Bomar..Thanks guys.

A metal or plastic shim under the sight leaf to stop any downward movement (after you've determined your elevation setting) will stop the sight from bouncing up and down under recoil and straining the screw.

edit: BTW – This idea will help on a Gold Cup if the sight pivot pin tends to get loose.

Bowen uses a set screw on their Rough Country sights to accomplish the same thing on heavy recoiling single action guns. A similar modification could be made to a Bomar if you really wanted to lock it in place.

DSC03634r.jpg

Edited by GunCat

Yes. But not all in a year. The people I've know who have had this happen was seeing it about once a year.

I saw a Limited shooter a couple of years ago have his break in the middle of long course. He weathered through it by taking a shot, reaching up to flip the sight back down, take another shot, flip the sight back down... It was like watching somebody shoot a old single action revolver.

Was that out at Tulsa for the Nationals a few years back?

Jay Christy had it happen at the '97 Limited Nationals(super squad) on a 23 round coarse. It happened on the first or second shot, he kept going like it didn't happen. He had a competitive time and score with no misses, it even had poppers in it. The sight was stuck straight up for the whole coarse.

Rich

Was that out at Tulsa for the Nationals a few years back?

This was at a sectional match in 2010.