Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A 1911 barrel in .45

I was going to get my SA 1911 V12 rebarreled and customized a little :P But the question I have what barrel companies produce the best barrels Im not sure about the 1911 style pistols as I am for rifles also the barrel on it know has twelve holes in the barrel for porting do you guys think someone like magnaport would be able to do the porting for me like my factory barrel has ? Just wondering what you guys thought Thanks allot , Neel :D

The hard part isn't going to be getting a barrel, as there are plenty of good 1911 barrels, even 6" barrels. The hard part (And the question of why comes up) getting ports into the barrel once installed.

Mag na Port might, but they also might have problems if the slot locations and port angles don't work easily with their tooling. Ditto anyone else who burns ports or slots.

I'm no great fan of drilling, although many have done it and gotten away with it. If you decide to go the drilling route, prepare yourself. Get the barrel fitted, then shoot a Ransom rest group with it. When you give it to whoever is going to drill, tell them you'll be checking accuracy after, and if the drilling decreases accuracy you'll expect a new barrel. (I know from testing that Mag na Port and other EDM processes don't adversely effect accuracy.)

Your ported long slide is an Open gun. It has been a long time since an iron-sight single stack Open gun was competitive (ca. 1989) and even then they were .38 Supers.

Why not leave the new barrel alone and shoot it as a long slide Limited 10 gun? When you feel the need for ports, drop the old barrel in.

Well to be honest Patrick I doubt I ever shoot competion with it <_< I was just wondering You know how you set and look at something LoL and just wonder :blink: I might contact springfield armory and ask one of there tech's about it heck it shoots pretty good as it is say 10 to 15 yards Just I love to tinker with stuff like this makes me have a challange and something to look foward too Thanks again , Neel

I own guns with Nowlin, Bar-Sto and Briley barrels in them. All shoot better that I can. :lol:

Just make sure that whomever installs it, fits it correctly ! You can waste a ton of money with someone whom doesn't know what their doing. All three manufacturers offer barrel fitting services...buy a barrel from them and send them the gun and have them fit it. You won't regret it.

HP, My gunsmith is just down the road from you, Mt Holly NC. In SS 45's I kind of like the Nowlin. He has drilled a bunch of hybrids and has not had any problems. If you decide that you want the work done and not just calling to bug him PM me and I'll give you his number. (He needs to concentrate on getting my new blaster running.) ;)