Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen3 35 using 180 gr. Bayou Bullets

atbarr

I'm thinking of purchasing a Gen3 35 Glock. Can I shoot 180 gr. Bayou Bullets out of the factory barrel, or will I need to purchase an after market barrel for good accuracy?

I shot probably 1k of Bayou Bullets though a G22 and G35 with the stock barrels, and I had no trouble with leading or any other deposits whatsoever. Accuracy was as good as any other bullet type/style. I bought a KKM drop in just for $!!!s and giggles, and I found that I could get better groups with it with both Bayou Bullets and Ranier plated. Others have found that the various drop ins were no better for them than the stock barrel.

The over-sized and gunsmith fitted barrel would be your best chance at increased precision in your groups. That being said, I have been happy with my KKM drop-in.

NOTE: A KKM barrel from the factory is sized for factory ammo. I had trouble with Bayou Bullets sticking in the throat of the barrel until I sent it back and had KKM open up the throat slightly. If you plan to use Bayou Bullets (or any lead), I'd suggest maybe ordering the barrel from KKM, sending them a couple of dummy rounds, and having them send you an opened up barrel to start with. That will save you the cost/time of shipping a barrel you bought somewhere else back to them. Other barrel manufacturers may have similar offers. Or you can tell Kevin at KKM you want a barrel just like he did for David a couple of weeks ago. He probably still has my BB dummy rounds on his bench.

When I bought my last bunch I asked Donnie and he said it wasn't a problem. I haven't shot many through my 35, maybe 150, but the barrel was clean afterward.

Thanks, this is good to hear. :cheers:

I've shot > 4,000 of 180 gr. Bayou through my M&P Pro. I ran a mop through it with Hoppes and then two cotton patches. The barrel is absolutely clean.:cheers:

I cleaned a 9mm 1911 barrel the other day that's had a bunch of Bayous shot thru it. It LOOKED clean and didn't bring a bunch of stuff out with the first solvent patch. From my experience with moly-coated rifle bullets, I KNEW that there had to be something in there, so I used JB on it. That barrel was filthy, but it took something more to get it out....

Most all of the coated bullets leave deposits in the barrel. It's just a very consistent layer, so it is not readily apparent like streaks of lead in the barrel.

Why not get some insurance and purchase a $100 Lone Wolf barrel, then shoot moly, lead, or anything you want? just make sure you ask Danny at Lone Wolf to throat and polish the feed ramp...Lone Wolf barrels have tight tolerances and need to be "loosened up" a bit to reliably shoot reloads. I put one in my G35 and have yet to have a malfunction related to reloads.

Why not get some insurance and purchase a $100 Lone Wolf barrel, then shoot moly, lead, or anything you want? just make sure you ask Danny at Lone Wolf to throat and polish the feed ramp...Lone Wolf barrels have tight tolerances and need to be "loosened up" a bit to reliably shoot reloads. I put one in my G35 and have yet to have a malfunction related to reloads.

Push comes to shove, I will.