Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In the Market for a new Tumbler

Looks like my cheapie "smartreloader" is about ready to kick the bucket. It runs but just about everytime I plug it in it does not start, it just hums. I can usually get it to start by bumping it around, but lately it is taking longer and longer to get it going again.

I do not have the cash to go to the ultrasonic approach, but I was wondering about using liquid cleaner in a tumbler, can that work?

Looking for a small tumbler with a lid to keep the dust down, any suggestions?

Mike

I have a Lyman turbo twin 1200, comes with a small bowl for wet tumbling.

I do have the stainless pins, but haven't tried it yet. Another forum poster(somewhere else, I don't recall) said it worked well though couldn't do as large of a load, but did work faster so it evened out.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't use a vibrating tumbler for the stainless pin wet method. Use a rock tumbler, the Thumler's is most popular, but, if you can find a used Lortone it will work as well, just not as much capacity.

This is what you can end up with.

post-25077-0-96796700-1331240936_thumb.j

Edited by Steve RA

• 2 weeks later...

I'd guess any rock tumbler setup would work for wet tumbling. My brother's a jeweler got me a Gesswein 130 he had laying around collecting dust. he even was able to get me about 15#'s of stainless media to go with it, but this wasn't the normal pin media, it looks like little pins and planets.

The best part of a wet tumbling system with stainless steel is that you never have to buy any more media for it. Just buy polish and dish soap and your done.