Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal NRA Action Production pistol?

grayguns

Please indulge me a story?

I admit to being biased in favour of SIG Sauer pistols, having had a long relationship with the firm and their products. It was thus natural that I should choose an X5 AllAround as my platform when I returned to competition after a 7 year hiatus due to health issues that I came back from, praise God.

The Cup has always been my first love in shooting sports. So, last winter I weezed one of my clients out of his spare AllAround, fixed the extractor issue that had kept his gun in new condition, threw a BarSto and .110" rear notch on it, loaded 7,500 rounds of Laser-Cast 122's, actually trained for once, went to Columbia and tanked the Practical worse than Rob did, and lost to him graciously, something I had become adept at in my long career. (How he hit ANYTHING as dark as it was when he shot his fifty yard strings is beyond me.)

While practicing at Mickey Fowler's ranch last spring, we played with various solutions to the issues he was having running his G34. Though fairly accurate as he set it up, Mickey wasn't shooting it to his inestimable potential. So, he tried my AllAround. That's all it took.

Fast forward to last Thursday. Mickey had driven up from California to our Secret Volcano Base in eastern Oregon to get his AllAround set up for the Cup. There'snot much to do, of course. The rules permit a replacement BarSto barrel, and we tuned the action to raise the SA pull above the 3.5 pound minimum. (We're teaming up on Production this year, as my 2011 co-winner Roy is shooting Metallic this time.) After Roy finished assembling the X5, we wanted to get at least some idea of how this thing would shoot. So, Mickey spotted me while I shot a group off the bag at fifty yards with some of our 122 grain Laser-Cast / TiteGroup practice loads left over from last year's effort:

X5groupjpg.jpg

Yes, I don't exactly believe it either, but there it is.

My personal X5 also shoots these bullets very well, around 2.5 inches most of the time, but MIckey's blower is ridiculous. For whatever reason this gun is exceptionally accurate accurate. FYI, the only reason we shot jacketed bullets in the match was due to concerns about smoke and backlit targets. If I knew I'd shoot in a light breeze at noon, I'd shoot them in preference.

-Bruce

Did you shoot it for groups before the barrel swap? Curious how much that had to do with it. I have a BarSto in a Para and it is extremely accurate but I wondered how much it would help the already accurate X5.

I plan on making a better showing this year with the AA. You don't have anything to worry about but I know where my weaknesses are and plan to work on them. At least the gun runs like a greased lighting bolt. :D

Craig

• 2 weeks later...