Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berrys 185 HBRN .45 ACP

perrysho

Has anyone loaded Berrys 185 HBRN (Hollow Base Round Nose).45acp with VV N320?? Appericate any info!

Having a problem loading a minor load. Loaded 50 with 5.5gr shot 25 in Springer loaded, didn't want to extract and feed right. Pistol has a 15# lb Vari load spring.

Loaded 25 more with 5.8gr VV N320 to try if it ever stops raining.

Also shot some loads, same bullets over 5.2 Titegroup, they ran fine, had a lil more bark and bite.

Only been playing around with VV N320 since last fall. Have a good load for limited .40 just can't get things right for .45acps.

Thanks for your thoughts and info.

Perry

• 3 months later...

.. tested a bunch of powders with the Berry's HBRN.

Did you try any light loads? I've got some of these bullets, and want to load some bunny farts for practice use in an alloy Commander. I'm getting old and can't handle an extended session of recoil any more: I'll pay for it for days afterward.

I normally use WST, but if I go below 4.0 grains the burn becomes erratic and case obturation is spotty (lots of black soot along the case). This is with 230 FMJ in an HK45C, which is my EDC/shoot-a-lot piece. 4.2 of WST under the 230 ball bullet is perfect in it, but I doubt this Commander will attenuate recoil as well as the HK does.

I'm willing to change powders, but don't have the time right now for an exhaustive "test"; just looking to see if anyone has stumbled upon a good, light-recoiling load. I realize I'll probably have to go to a lighter spring, but that's okay too.

Bottom line here, I haven't fooled with a 1911-style pistol, shooting or reloading, in a very long time. I've also got some 200gr Bayou Bullets SWCs.

Any suggestions appreciated...

I have tried N320 and Titegroup behind the 185 Nosler with very limited success. Mind you, I am trying to load Major power factor, so that's a difference, but I was getting very wide extreme spreads in velocity with both powders. I suspect that it's a loading density issue (not enough powder filling the empty space in the case). That problem SHOULD, by all logic, be worse with a Hollow Base bullet because it has more empty space.

Well, it turns out that 4.2 of WST under a Remington 185 jacketed SWC (the Remington target bullet, which I have a couple of thousand left over from my bullseye days) worked like a champ... which I never would have bet on. No spring change, either.

I also have some Berry's 185 plated RN (with the hollow base) I tried with the same powder charge... no joy. Multiple failures to feed. I probably should investigate what is going on there; I used the same OAL as my 230 ball loads, so it SHOULD have worked. This pistol (a Dan Wesson Guardian) has a pretty neat integral feed ramp (a'la Browning Hi-power) as part of the barrel. Which explains it feeding those stubby SWCs, but not why it doesn't like the 185 RN.

But I think I'll expend that effort into loading the Remington SWCs. The 200gr H&G Bayou Bullet, again over 4.2 of WST, did... meh. Feeding was "sticky"; I could feel the slide "starting and stopping" as it forced its way through the feed cycle. I have no doubt the pistol does not like the OAL of these cartridges. And those bullets are seated just under the front driving band. I could get them a couple of hundredths deeper.

Lots of work to do...

Did you try any light loads? I've got some of these bullets, and want to load some bunny farts for practice use in an alloy Commander. I'm getting old and can't handle an extended session of recoil any more: I'll pay for it for days afterward.

I normally use WST, but if I go below 4.0 grains the burn becomes erratic and case obturation is spotty (lots of black soot along the case). This is with 230 FMJ in an HK45C, which is my EDC/shoot-a-lot piece. 4.2 of WST under the 230 ball bullet is perfect in it, but I doubt this Commander will attenuate recoil as well as the HK does.

I'm willing to change powders, but don't have the time right now for an exhaustive "test"; just looking to see if anyone has stumbled upon a good, light-recoiling load. I realize I'll probably have to go to a lighter spring, but that's okay too.

Bottom line here, I haven't fooled with a 1911-style pistol, shooting or reloading, in a very long time. I've also got some 200gr Bayou Bullets SWCs.

No, nothing really light with the Berry's. I've had good luck with 4.5 WST and 200 gr Bayou or Bear Creek SWC in my HK45.

For lioght loads I use Trail Boss powder. I have also found that V V N-310 brns fairly clean with low velocity loads.

I've never had more problems finding a good load than I did with the bullet you are asking about. The hollow base adds more space which lowers pressure even more than the already low pressure .45ACP usually has. When pressures are that low, it means that slower burning powder that usually works (Universal, W231) will not burn completely. Faster burning powders work better, but they don't work well at lower velocity either. The rounds also have an unusual amount of muzzle flash for any given powder. I think some of the powder is following the bullet out in the hollow base and still burning after the bullet leaves the barrel. Shortening the overall cartridge length helped some. I still had many failures to eject properly, lots of powder residue and unburnt grains, Powder blow-by, and too much muzzle flash. I tried Unique, Universal, W231, Clays, Titegroup, HP-38. None of them worked well. I will never buy the hollow base bullets in .45 again.

I've never had more problems finding a good load than I did with the bullet you are asking about. The hollow base adds more space which lowers pressure even more than the already low pressure .45ACP usually has. When pressures are that low, it means that slower burning powder that usually works (Universal, W231) will not burn completely. Faster burning powders work better, but they don't work well at lower velocity either. The rounds also have an unusual amount of muzzle flash for any given powder. I think some of the powder is following the bullet out in the hollow base and still burning after the bullet leaves the barrel. Shortening the overall cartridge length helped some. I still had many failures to eject properly, lots of powder residue and unburnt grains, Powder blow-by, and too much muzzle flash. I tried Unique, Universal, W231, Clays, Titegroup, HP-38. None of them worked well. I will never buy the hollow base bullets in .45 again.

Guess that might explain why Power Pistol worked for me. I also tried a bunch of loads trying to find one that would group.

Well, all of that makes sense. Excellent explanation, thanks. I'll kick up the charge with those and shoot 'em in the HK, just so they don't go to waste.

• 2 weeks later...

I kept messing around with this bullet, since I'm stuck with quite a few of them, until I found a load that works OK. I'm using a short overall length combined with fast powder (Clays) and loading toward the top end of the loading data. It works fairly well, but I still can't wait to finish up these hollow base bullets and get some regular 230gr berry's again.

I kept messing around with this bullet, since I'm stuck with quite a few of them, until I found a load that works OK. I'm using a short overall length combined with fast powder (Clays) and loading toward the top end of the loading data. It works fairly well, but I still can't wait to finish up these hollow base bullets and get some regular 230gr berry's again.

New guy here.

So, am I reading this right? You aren't having any luck with the 185 RNHB Berry's bullets?

I've wondered the same thing since I'm stuck with 500 that I recently traded and got a steal on. Have you tried SR4756 or AA#5 with these bullets?

Also ... what's your favorite load / powder using the 230 gr. Berry's?

Edited by roostershooter

I found that 6.8 grains (same load as the mid point 185gr XTP bullet) of 231 was "adequate" After plinking away the 500 that I had, I did not purchase anymore. On a related note, I originally purchased the 185gr HB RN because I was having feed issues with other bullet profiles and I wanted to try a lighter projectile.. After having some minor throating done, it feed SWC like a champ and I haven't looked back.

• 1 month later...

Can you share your recipe with Clays? How many grains and OAL...

Thank you!!

perrysho,

You may need a lighter recoil spring for proper functioning with your load. A fellow shooter loads 3.5 gr. Trail Boss behind a 230 gr. LRN and uses a 10 lb recoil spring in his old Colt Gold Cup for reliable functioning. I shoot a 185 gr. LSWC at 720 fps using a 12 lb recoil spring in one of my 1911's.

I have been shooting the 185gr Berry's RNHB out of my Gold Cup and Range Officer for plinking and steel. Using Clay's @ 4.7gr with an OAL of 1.225". No idea what they chrono at but the feed with no issues and eject without issue. I am running 12lb recoil springs.

I just did a batch of this bullets with 4.9gr of Clays and 1.250 OAL and shot a few over the chrono with an average of 707fps 155pf. They don't make major and I won't feel comfortable putting more Clays on them but shoot very accurate with a nice snappy recoil. I think I like this for practice.