Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm brass scratched from carbide size die

When reloading 9mm brass on my 650 I am getting scratched brass from my dillon carbide sizing die, Last time I took the resize die out and used a brass brush to get little bits of brass siezed to my resizing die, it was doing fine then it started doing it again. The brass I am using is a mix of once fired brass some nickel and brass that has been resized with the same die. The brass goes thru the tumbler with walnut hulls with nufinsh car wax and I have been using silicone spray in a plastic sack to add a little bit more lubrication to the case( I am spraying the inside of plastic bag first then letting it dry then adding brass and mix it up).

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks Coleman

Use Sweets 7.62 or hoppes #9 and a bronze brush to clean the interior of the size die. Then see if a scratch is visible. Often it is brass galling accumulates onto the surface of the carbide, causing scratching to the cases.

Often it is brass galling accumulates onto the surface of the carbide, causing scratching to the cases.

This is usually what I find when marks start appearing on my brass. I would say if it is a recurring problem look for something wrong with your brass or your procedures.

However, I did have a carbide ring crack once in a Dillon die.

Use Sweets 7.62 or hoppes #9 and a bronze brush to clean the interior of the size die. Then see if a scratch is visible. Often it is brass galling accumulates onto the surface of the carbide, causing scratching to the cases.

Looking at the die under magnifcation i can see small scratches in the carbide that was causing the brass to accumulate on the carbide. It was a older dillon die that i bought used, I have been wanting a new set to help in cleaning and the spring loaded decapping pin. It is going to be a busy year reloading I just got my ar 9mm upper for 3 gun and it looks like it is going to be a blast of a time.

Thanks Coleman

Sarge,

The brass i have been using was once fired, the person i got it from had lemishined it so it was nice and clean i changed out my walnut hulls w/ nufinish and ran the brass thru it to get a coat of wax on it. My case feeder probally needs to be cleaned i processed about 3k of 223 brass and 1 k of 308 brass. It is a little sticky and a good cleaning wont hurt. Thanks again! Coleman