Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV mag question

a matt

Has anyone ever had problems with SV mags hitting the frame of a 2011 in 40 when you change mags? Not the feed lips but about 1/2 an inch below the feed lips where they flair at the shoulder. My mags are tuned by Freedom and they were working great in my 2011 5in. But they are hitting the frame on my new 6in. I checked how they seat with the slide off. Their is plenty of room between the ejector and the feed lips and I can see where they are hitting the frame. They have left a mark on the tubes. It seems to be only the SV mags the STI mag don't have this issue. If I hold the mags side by side the sv mags start to flair higher than the STI. I have run the SV mags in 3 different 2011 for over 6 months and they work fine in my other guns. The builder said they run SV,STI in all the there guns. And they test fired this one also. What gives?

Hello: Yes, the SVI mags will hit on some of the STI frames where they attach to the grip. You can bevel the grip screw nuts first on the bottom like Mike suggested. If they still will not work then you will have to either narrow the mag where they touch the frame or bevel the frame. The new style SVI mags seem to be a little wider at the top tapered edge than the older style SVI mags are. Thanks, Eric

Thanks i understand about the new mags. the mags I have are the old style. I got them from Chris Keen after Bobby @ Freedom tuned them. The gun is new the mags are the older style. Like I said they worked great in my older STI . Anyone ever had this issue? :unsure:

Edited by a matt