Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Throwing problems...

I have 3 Dillons, 550, 650, and a S1050.

I have problems obtaining a good powder throw. I use Varget for my 308's and the throw can vary by as much as .4 .

Has anybody here found the same problem and a solution?

Please don't try to tell me that that much of a powder variance is tolerable, I'm not buying.

Are there any work-arounds at all?

Arredondo's Dillon Powder Measure Bar: http://www.cpwsa.com/arredondo.htm (scroll down almost to the bottom)

ETA: I just realized that the ad copy talks about Vectan, not Varget. Sorry.

Anyway, what kind of variation in powder throws are you getting with your other powders? Similar, more, or less variation?

Edited by Skydiver

I just loaded 30-06 with IMR 4064, a stick powder. I modded my powder measure by mirror polishing the aluminum funnel and the drop parts. I was getting my target weight on most pulls and +/- .1-.2 grains when off. I got this idea from a post by a PANTHER308 who did same on the CMP forums and did a nice pictorial on the Dillon Precision Forum.

I will try to find a link to his write up. He gets .1 variance when loading .308 but he also did some mods to the mechanical parts of the measure. I only polished.

I will be loading with Varget tonight so I will be able to give you an update on how it went and I will get the link for the post that I copied the mods from.

This is the link

https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/POWDER_MEASURE-98-10-274.htm

I used a dremel for the measure bowl but really the best shine was generated by using Never Dull followed by Simichrome and hand work. There are a bunch of aluminum polishes out there you can use. Just dont remove or change the shape of the metal. Polish the surface only. I didnt do the mods PANTHER308 did to the actuator arm or put the spring behind the adjustment screw.

I threw Varget last night. I was aiming for 46.5 but ended up with a consistent 46.1 to 46.3. Its not bench rest but I'll be shooting these through a Garand and some 03's it should be fine.

Part of the problem with my reloads right now is that I am doing small batches to try different powders and bullets. Once I settle on a powder and bullet I think I will be able to dial the measure in much closer to my target throws. Because my throws were consistent I could have bumped the powder up and got closer to the 46.5. My process is too chopped up each batch is only 33 rounds and I am adjusting seating dies after each batch so its too stop and start. I hope I'm able to at least get some base line info out of what I'm doing.

If you have the measure you can try these mods and see if they work for you. If not I understand you can use an RL 450 measure die and attach a RCBS Uni Flow with the automated powder drop linkage and get that to work for stick powders.

Please keep me updated on how this works for you. If you discover any tricks pass them along so I can try them out.

Edited by pmclaine

Thanks for the tips. I polished the inside of the hopper with a Dremel felt tip. It got pretty smooth and shiny and it seems to help.

I think I am going to take it apart again and get the polish to mirror finish and add the car wax step. I am going to polish the powder bar too, and attach a anti static wire.

I will post an update in a day or 2 to chart progress.

• 5 years later...

I was experiencing much larger (up to 1.5 grain) variances than that with my week old XL650. I just got off the phone with Dillon tech support and he had me put a primed/ spent primer case in the #2 station and push handle forward (not hard) and then tighten the wing nut on the return bar all the way until the spring was fully compressed, then he had me back it off two turns... what a huge difference! My first 5 charges all weighed in at 43.75 exactly!  Super happy with my purchase!

On 12/6/2017 at 8:53 AM, knittlegolf said:

I was experiencing much larger (up to 1.5 grain) variances than that with my week old XL650. I just got off the phone with Dillon tech support and he had me put a primed/ spent primer case in the #2 station and push handle forward (not hard) and then tighten the wing nut on the return bar all the way until the spring was fully compressed, then he had me back it off two turns... what a huge difference! My first 5 charges all weighed in at 43.75 exactly!  Super happy with my purchase!

I had a similar issue with stick powder. The powder bar wasn't returning completely. The solution was to tighten the return rod as you described. However, the root cause was the powder throw linkage arm fastner was too tight. A little loosening reduced the need for so much return rod adjustment. I saw the powder throw variations with all stick powder including N320.