Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

700 build done

Alaskapopo

• 3 weeks later...

Hey alaska, part of people using the 155 grain in palma is because they have to because that's the max bullet weight IIRC. They also send them down range with silly long barrels. In my 20 inch I am rocking 175 and heavier bullets because of the extra weight I can get better powder burn in the shortie. Naturally my twist is 10:1 in my 20 inch barrel 308 so I can rock the heavy bullets. I don't bother putting anything other than 20 moa rails on my precision rifles because I fully intend on pushing the limits of whatever platform I am shooting. I don't remember what the LTR barrel twist is, but long range we typically don't bother with anything under 175. Strangely in the 308's I have had there is a huge difference past 600 with 168 and 175. Not much weight difference but whatever they did it is a big change. A Max 178's are nice too, good me plat uniformity from round to round.

and 16.25 moa is about what it takes to get a 2600 fps smk to 600. at 2650 that's about 700. 4.7 mils is ~16.25moa

• 1 month later...

I'm planning to start work on my LTR again. How do you like the Surgeon bottom metal? Any reason to go with Surgeon or Badger bottom metal? When I started a few years ago only Badger was available for using AICS mags. Both are about the same price and are quality manufacturers. Help me choose.

I'm planning to start work on my LTR again. How do you like the Surgeon bottom metal? Any reason to go with Surgeon or Badger bottom metal? When I started a few years ago only Badger was available for using AICS mags. Both are about the same price and are quality manufacturers. Help me choose.

Not to intrude.....but take a look at the Seekins AICS DBM setup if you haven't already. I like them better than either the Badger or the Surgeon due to the push button AR style mag release.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice rig - but the shifter's on the wrong side! What did you think of the original scope? I've been interested in those but haven't seen much on them.

FWIW, the 155s need to be pushed fast to shoot well. This has been true in my M1As and a 30" Palma rifle. The 175 MK works VERY well and would be my best guess in a shorty barrel. It will stabilize even in the 1-13" twist Palma.

Mark

Remington700withNightforce.jpg

Got a new scope for it. Well a new to me used Nightforce.

pat

Its an NXS. An NSX is made by Acura. They are also turrets......not turrents.

As for a load, try the 190SMK over 48 - 49 grains of RL17. Same velocity as the 175SMK. That equates to alot of performance when you give up nothing to velocity in a heavier, higher BC bullet.

48.5gr. shoots 5 shots repeatably in to .5" at 100yds. from my 18" LaRue OBR at 2555fps

Remington700withNightforce.jpg

Got a new scope for it. Well a new to me used Nightforce.

pat

Its an NXS. An NSX is made by Acura. They are also turrets......not turrents.

As for a load, try the 190SMK over 48 - 49 grains of RL17. Same velocity as the 175SMK. That equates to alot of performance when you give up nothing to velocity in a heavier, higher BC bullet.

48.5gr. shoots 5 shots repeatably in to .5" at 100yds. from my 18" LaRue OBR at 2555fps

Thanks for pointing out my typo's and spelling errors. The barrel twist on this gun is 1/12 not sure if that will stabalize a 190 grain bullet.

Pat

Due to the relatively short overall bullet length and the tangent ogive design, the 190 smashkings usually stabilize just fine in the slower twist 11.25 and 12 twist barrels.

The 185 Berger Juggernauts stabilize in my OBR's 11.25 twist but the heavier VLD's do not.

Due to the relatively short overall bullet length and the tangent ogive design, the 190 smashkings usually stabilize just fine in the slower twist 11.25 and 12 twist barrels.

The 185 Berger Juggernauts stabilize in my OBR's 11.25 twist but the heavier VLD's do not.

Smashkings really. Cool name for a bullet.

Pat

I just tried out loading rifle ammo for the 1st time with great results. 175gr. SMK bullets with RE15 powder was hitting clays at 400 yards to the point of getting boring and rang the steel at 1000 yards shot for shot. That was the first time shooting at that distance and it was quite a rush.

• 4 weeks later...