Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 "Shaving" brass...

New brass?

Do you use case lube?

No, I use mixed brass that I get from a local indoor range; I would say nearly all once fired, 'mostly PMC

.40 that they sell there in the store for range use.. A little Federal and Winny occasionally mixed in..

I haven't been using case lube though, I just use a dab of Dillon polish in my media.

I didn't think anything was sharp inside the dies to cause this though, so..

Maybe it's "Sloughing off" from lack of lube?

Edited by gunfixer

If you are seeing crescent-shaped clippings, then reducing the flaring should reduce this. If it is more like dust, that is sloughing off the brass, common with new brass, still happens somewhat with once-fired brass.

I think if you want to take the time to debur the inside of the case mouth you'll find this will go away. I never thought that it was a big enough problem to take the time. In other words, don't worry about it.

I'm beginning to use case lube starting today.. Thanks for all of everyone's views on this subject...

BTW - This was merely something I had noted but not of great concern,

and figured it should be asked about.. Now we all know the scoop on brass shaving/ dust from

reloads on our presses..

:cheers:

Edited by gunfixer

• 2 weeks later...

Lube each by hand with a little brush.....

Or do it my way: I throw between 100 to 15o cases in a shallow box, tip them on their sides and give a couple quick shots of Dillon spray lube. Don't worry about getting both sides, because they will rub against each other and become pretty uniformly covered in the case feeder. Don't forget a quick tumble when done loading them to clean off the lube.

Lube each by hand with a little brush.....

Or do it my way: I throw between 100 to 15o cases in a shallow box, tip them on their sides and give a couple quick shots of Dillon spray lube. Don't worry about getting both sides, because they will rub against each other and become pretty uniformly covered in the case feeder. Don't forget a quick tumble when done loading them to clean off the lube.

Lol..! The only way I could think of to do it slower than the brush method would be using one of the

Lube Pads like the precision bench rest rifle shooters use....

I've opted for the "Spray lube in a 1 gallon ziploc bag" then add about 100 pcs. and shake like "shake-n--bake" method...

Thanks all, this is SO much better..! B):D

Were you suggesting to put them back into the medium for a couple of minutes after the rounds are completed?

Edited by gunfixer