Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger job on STI Spartan

Roaddog77

Guys I am think about getting some work done to the trigger on my Spartan. What it has now is ok but want something a bit lighter. I also want to try a straight trigger as well. Has anyone purchased a kit from say EGW or Cylinder&Slide? I seen some drop in kits from them and was curious. Do you think it would just be better to have a smith do it? I dont want super light, maybe just something in the three pound range. My main pistol is a G35 which has an Edge setup from Glocktriggers. It is a very good trigger and now it makes my Spartan trigger feel super heavy. I just want to see what everyones opinion is.

I did a "quick" trigger job on my 9mm Spartan by simply adjusting the sear spring to more reasonable tensions. My trigger was heavy but otherwise pretty clean, so that's really all it needed.

One problem with drop-in kits is that they often will require you to fit a new thumb safety, and that's not a drop-in proposition.

i had my smith drop in a new trigger and to a trigger job and brought it down to about 3lbs. made a nice difference when compared to a stock spartan. parts and labor was only $50 too. money well spent IMO

The internals of even the Spartan are pretty good from the factory so a quick (and free) spring tune can lighten the action to a really nice level. The Weigand method describes how to tun the leaf spring disconnector and sear legs with only a trigger gauge to get a sub 3lb trigger (or more if you prefer--several levels are defined). I did it on my Spartan and it works great.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10297/guntechdetail/2___lb__Trigger_Pull

Everybody thank you for your different opinions. They all sound good! I currently have a 19lb mainspring in it. I also changed the recoil spring to a 15lb and the firing pin spring to the one that came with the recoil spring from Wolff. So far I have done the springs, changed the MS housing to a S&A with internal magwell, VZ Op2 grips, Dawson front sight and cleaned/polished somethings inside. I want to try one of the flat triggers in it. I figured if I was doing this I would get a trigger job. I think I will go with the Weigand method and see where that gets me. Again thanks!