Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how does the RL 1050 differ from the Super 1050?

How does the RL 1050 differ from the Super 1050, i.e. why does this rotary conversion work on a RL 1050 but not the Super 1050?

As a follow-up question, is this rotary conversion a viable option/alternative to the Ponsness-Warren auto drive?

I have e-mailed this guy, and he made this for a buddy that was disabled if I recall correctly. He said the original was a one-off, but he has thought about making more. He uses some PW parts to make the conversion, so you would need the PW, and then some extra cash on the side to possibily have him make you one. He also told me it was for the RL, and not the SUPER 1050. If I recall it has something to do with how it mounts. The press is also slightly modified to allow it to work.

Notice the connecting rod assembly at the bottom of the ram of the RL1050, this is the reason this can be done on a RL1050 and not a Super 1050. On the rear of the frame of a RL1050 there is a portion where the connecting rod assembly hits, which limits the up travel of the ram/toolhead. In this video, that portion has been milled off, to allow the connecting rod assembly to rotate completely around. The connecting rod assembly on the Super1050 is setup quite a bit different, and cannot rotate completely around like this.

Merlin....it is :devil: ....it is mine....

If you want the conversion done, contact me by email.

The RL1050 throw is 166 degrees, vs. 180 degrees for the Super. The Super is redesigned.

Also, I gave him the PW unit and my RL1050 since the PW Unit would not work reliably.

I told him to make it work, this is what he came up with and it works.

He has to modify the frame, but sets it up so you can convert it back to the old handle assy. if you want to.

Simple answer, he was given a RL 1050 to set up as I have 4 of them.

I have over 200K of cycles on the machine, with priming and processing .223 brass.

The machinist that built it has other business and does this in his...*spare time*

yeah, he is that busy, but he is that good.

Having had the PW unit on my RL unit, I cannot give a good recommendation. I know some people that have them on the Supers and like them, but this works for me.

Hope this helps answer some questions...

DougC

this rotary design seems simpler than the PW unit, so would it be worth one's while to seek out an older RL 1050 for automation?

Hello: It seems between Merlin and Doug there are no RL1050 out there :roflol: I love the 2 that I have and would buy another one in a heartbeat. They are smoother than the Super 1050's but you can only load shorter rifle ammo like 223. Thanks, Eric

Merlin....it is :devil: ....it is mine....

If you want the conversion done, contact me by email.

The RL1050 throw is 166 degrees, vs. 180 degrees for the Super. The Super is redesigned.

Also, I gave him the PW unit and my RL1050 since the PW Unit would not work reliably.

I told him to make it work, this is what he came up with and it works.

He has to modify the frame, but sets it up so you can convert it back to the old handle assy. if you want to.

Simple answer, he was given a RL 1050 to set up as I have 4 of them.

I have over 200K of cycles on the machine, with priming and processing .223 brass.

The machinist that built it has other business and does this in his...*spare time*

yeah, he is that busy, but he is that good.

Having had the PW unit on my RL unit, I cannot give a good recommendation. I know some people that have them on the Supers and like them, but this works for me.

Hope this helps answer some questions...

DougC

I am trying to pretend I don't want /NEED this setup......

Fail.