Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650XL primer toubles?

My new 650XL is eating up primers, it will not index primers properly, the press gets very stiff when the primer indexing arm makes contact with the primer cam. I took the primer assembly off the press and it index's easy by hand, put it back on and it jams up after a few primers have rotated, any suggestions ??

I just went thru this. check and make sure the primer arm is straight, mine was bent and jamming up the spring. Make sure the primer plate is in good shape, mine is really gouged up. I ended up taking it out and sanding it with 320 grit, I will be ordering a new one monday.

Mildot

I had this problem when I first got my XL650 too. I was crunching one or two primers out of every ten or so rounds. Two things I did (which I found after searching around on this site) was:

Found out I had the shell plate bolt WAY too tight. Because of this, the shell plate wouldn't center over the detent ball underneath it, and the alignment of the primer seating punch and a case was all off. Backed off the bolt a bit and made sure the shell plate rotated smoothly and indexed properly at each station.

Second thing (also found on this site) was to only tighten the two bolts holding the primer assembly to the press finger tight. No wrenches, just snug with my fingers. My guess is that it allows the holes in the primer feedplate to self-center over the primer seating punch.

Since doing this, I've solved about 95% of my priming issues.

Edited by snow patrol

I took the primer assembly apart and cleaned it thoroughly, ran a few test primers and it seemed to work properly. I will have time tomorrow to run some 45acp, fingers crossed.

I had the kinda the same issue with the priming system when I first got the press last November,

Dillon shipped me an entirely new priming system and I sent the other one back and that worked for me.

I have fixed my issue, i did two things that may have helped. I thoroughly cleaned my primer system, it may have had some residue left from manufacturing that made the primers drag. I also reinforced my bench to make sure it did not have any bounce or shake to it any longer.

• 2 months later...

I was having a similar issue. As I would lower the handle and raise the platform, about half way up it would become very stiff. I backed the primer seating punch off, and it worked fine. After reading some of the responses here, I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing. I do know that if I screw the primer seating punch all the way in, like the instructions suggest, the platform will only rise half way, and then stop, with or without primers. I also wonder if I'm seating my primers deep enough. Any thoughts?

I sent my 650 back to Dillon. Same problems and more. I have a 1050 and the 650 is no way like it. The way the brass come out is very poor. The primer assembly is also very light made. The disc stops for nothing. I took it apart cleaned it and it still does not work.I saw primers on the disc not flat and jammed the assembly. I know other shooters who never have a problem. But when I called and advised them how many parts were broken they said sent it back. However it still cost me Eighty dollars to ship it. I would like to give it back to them and buy another 1050. If someone asked which one to buy it would be the 1050 or the 550.

Well I found my problem, the part that pushes primer up was very loose. Mine works fine now,after I tighen it.

I had this problem after about 1k rounds loaded. I now make sure I check things like this before I get started, because things will vibrate loose.

Be sure the primer seating assembly is snugged up into the underside of the platform using a wrench. Be sure the top of the primer seating punch is no higher than flush with the top of the bushing; up to .020" below flush is more typical when no load is on the punch. The axle pin that the primer disc and indexing arm pivot around should be greased lightly. Cut a small cloth patch, wet it with alcohol, and use the plastic follower rod to push it through the primer magazine to clean it.

I was absolutely crushing primers when I first got my (used) press. I took the primer system apart and cleaned it and I also noted that the two bolts that hold the primer system on can only be finger tight. If you over tighten them, they will bind the primer disc so that it can't turn properly and that'll cause alignment issues and make the ram harder to run. Finger tight only...you should be able to push the indexing arm with your finger and it should advance the disc smoothly. If not, back the two mounting bolts off a 1/4 turn.

When I first got my 650 and changed from caliber and of course from large to small primers then I had similar problems. Instead of worrying about getting everything adjusted correctly I bought a 2nd primer assembly. I now switch the primer assembly out if changing to a caliber that requires a different primer size. After all with the investment I have made in buying a 650 an additional primer assembly was not such a leap. I load for 38/357 (different tool heads for each), 40, 45, 45LC, 9, 223, 308 all on my 650.

• 1 year later...

Have been having problem of "flipping" or "side ways" inserted primers on my 650XL. Very frustrating. Narrowed the problem to my large primer punch which was too high. Called Dillon and their customer service continues to be out standing and Mike in CS shipped a new one on Friday. He advised they can't be properly adjusted. Love my Blue! Looking forward to cranking out the .45 acp rounds. My 4 extra large primer loading tubes which had been ordered from Brian arrived today. Excellent service and great products.

Have been having problem of "flipping" or "side ways" inserted primers on my 650XL. Very frustrating. Narrowed the problem to my large primer punch which was too high. Called Dillon and their customer service continues to be out standing and Mike in CS shipped a new one on Friday. He advised they can't be properly adjusted. Love my Blue! Looking forward to cranking out the .45 acp rounds. My 4 extra large primer loading tubes which had been ordered from Brian arrived today. Excellent service and great products.

You can take the primer punch apart and clean them. Its not easy and requires alot of manual dexterity, but it gets sticky and sticks up (mine took about 20k rounds before it really got gummed up). You can take it apart and clean it.