Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with Arredondo extensions

G T

I have three arrendondo extended basepads and springs i am using in my G35. They will all load to 20 rounds as advertised but will not reliably feed in my gun. even if I only load them to only 17 or 18 rds. I have done the dawson trim on the follower but I consistently have FTF's. Sometimes it will be mid-mag or closer to the end. It feels like the spring is too weak to push the bullets up to reliably feed. I was thinking about trying the Dawson extenders or trying some wolf springs to see if they are are any stronger. Any ideas???

This is not a new issue. If you do some searching, you will find it has been covered multiple times. The reasons are complicated, which some research will show you, but the bottom line is that there are many minor differences in different generations of mag tubes and followers and guns. Arredondo, Dawson, and Freelance all say the same thing.

I have three arrendondo extended basepads and springs i am using in my G35. They will all load to 20 rounds as advertised but will not reliably feed in my gun. even if I only load them to only 17 or 18 rds. I have done the dawson trim on the follower but I consistently have FTF's. Sometimes it will be mid-mag or closer to the end. It feels like the spring is too weak to push the bullets up to reliably feed. I was thinking about trying the Dawson extenders or trying some wolf springs to see if they are are any stronger. Any ideas???

Just throwing this out there, but are your loads too long?

Also just throwed out...... Are the extensions and springs new or picked up used? Might just need new springs or may not have the right spring for an extension to begin with. If your loads are factory or within good OAL's then I would think springs. I second Graham's response as well. Some folks just find that they don't like em. Take this with a grain of salt as all of mine run great in both a 34 and a 35.

Edit spellin

Edited by whistlepig

Addendum - I didn't fully read the post. Some people can feed that 20th round but many cannot. As to a problem feeding 17-19, too long an OAL, or the spring or follower are getting caught on the bottom of the mag. Dawson has posted a video on this.

I have watched the Dawson video And filed and smoothed the followers. I have tried different followers as well as Mag bodies. The ext and springs were bought new. I am shooting the same load as before the ext. So i dont think it is OAL. But I do appreciate the suggestions.

i ordered a couple of new wolf springs and 1 dawson extension to give it a try.

I run my Arredondo's with Gen4 mag tubes, #9 followers. There is no need for follower modification with this setup. I have been running this configuration for more than a year in my Gen4 35 and Gen4 22.

The only time I've ever had feeding issues was when I had some interference with my Glockworx Zev magwell. That issue has been resolved.

I load mine up to full 20 rounds and let her rip.

I received some new wolf springs and a Dawson ext base. I also bought a couple of new magazines and I am ready to go out and give them a run. The old springs( less than 6 months)that came with the arredondo ext bases were already the same length as the new stock springs when i disassmbeled the new mags.

I run many of Arredondo's bases on varied model of Glock tubes. Always using factory ammo in .40 & 9mm. No issues... when the spring are replaced I always use Wolffe +10 springs and they have ran flawless for many years. Also have some of Ralph's bases for Para and STI tubes all have preformed great with Wolffe springs.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my extended mags had the same problem-arredondo and dawson. The spring was sometimes getting stuck on the bottom edge of the inside of the magazine as it fed up. I rounded off the inside magazine edges. All work perfectly now!

What did you do to solve the problem? I am considering getting some and would like to know...

Look up a couple of posts.

I received some new wolf springs and a Dawson ext base. I also bought a couple of new magazines and I am ready to go out and give them a run. The old springs( less than 6 months)that came with the arredondo ext bases were already the same length as the new stock springs when i disassmbeled the new mags.

I had this problem with my arredondo pads, switched the springs out for Wolff. The capacity dropped to 19 reloadable, but they work great.

My mags are only loaded to 19 at matches, even the ones that hold 20, just to keep it consistent.

The only time I've ever had feeding issues was when I had some interference with my Glockworx Zev magwell. That issue has been resolved.

I load mine up to full 20 rounds and let her rip.

what was the issue with the magwell and how did you fix it? I'm thinking about to pick one up and plan on using dawson pads

Edited by Mortis03

what was the issue with the magwell and how did you fix it? I'm thinking about to pick one up and plan on using dawson pads

The large brass magwell insert was machined out of spec. It was too short and caused the magwell to deflect. The magwell deflection caused the magazine with extensions to torque. This caused magazine to misfeed.

Edited by MrVvrroomm